Chair Serwatka will call the meeting to order and welcome new members.
- Dominique Aguirre – Student, Department of Diversity Initiatives
- Zachary Levensohn – Chief of Staff, Student Government
- Cody Lewin – Coordinator, Student Conduct
- Jennifer Nutt – Associate Director, Student Affairs
- Jennifer Lieberman, Assistant Professor, Department of English (Winner of 2017 President’s Diversity Award)
- Laura Heffernan – Associate Professor, Department of English
- Issa Ramaji – Assistant Professor, Construction Management
- Aiyin Jiang – Associate Professor, Construction Management
Item 2 Approval of Minutes (July 13, 2017)
The Commission will review and approve the minutes from the last meeting held on July 13, 2017.
Item 3 Purpose and Structure of CODI - Bylaws
Chair Dawkins will restate CODI’s purpose and structure.
Item 4 Update on CODI’s Difference Appreciation Initiative
Alison Cruess will update the committee on progress being made on the Difference Appreciation Initiative.
- Train the Trainer Workshop for CCP 101 (Aug. 1)
- FTIC Convocation Pinning Card (Aug. 20)
- Diversity Desserts during Week of Welcome (Aug 20)
- CODI’s Booth during Week of Welcome (Aug. 22)
- Ascending to Fuller Equity workshop (Serwatka/COEHS - Oct. 20)
- Courageous Conversations #3 (Fall term, date TBD)
Item 5 Minority Faculty Recruitment – McKnight and SREB Conferences
Chair Dawkins will update the committee on the minority faculty recruitment conferences.
Chair Dawkins will announce UNF as a recipient of the 2017 HEED Award.
- 300 applications were submitted, nationally, for the award and UNF was one of 80 universities selected.
- UNF was one of 15-20 universities selected as Diversity Champion School, scoring 9.2 out of 10
- The only other school in Florida to receive the honor of a Diversity Champion School is FSU
UNF is committed to applying for the HEED award next year. Please review the application and begin documenting your D&I work and send to Melonie Handerson
Commission members will share the feedback they have received on the proposed Diversity & Inclusion Scorecard.
Item 8 Campus Climate Survey
Dr. Edythe Abdullah will give an update on the Campus Climate Survey committee
Item 9 Presidential Search Update
Chair Serwatka will update members on the presidential search.
Item 10 Intercultural Center for Peace – University-Wide Mentoring Program
Oupa Seane, associate director, Intercultural Center for Peace, will speak to members about a new university-wide mentoring program. The student mentoring program seeks to connect UNF students to faculty and administration for social integration to let students know they are part of the Osprey family.
Item 11 Announcements from the Commission
Commission members will announce upcoming activities from their areas or the community.
Dr. John Frank, Assistant Director, Taylor Leadership Institute, will speak about the upcoming TLI 9th Annual Student Leadership Summit. The theme will be Leadership and Cultural Intelligence (CQ), featuring Dr. Sarah Upton of the Cultural Intelligence Center in Michigan.
TLI 9th Annual Student Leadership Summit
Friday, October 27, 2017
Student Union Ballroom
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – including a luncheon
Item 12 CODI’s Next Meeting Date – November 2017
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 – 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday, November 14, 2017 – 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.
Item 13 Identity Politics
Commission members will discuss whether CODI should have a special meeting or program where identity politics is discussed.
Item 14 Adjournment
Chair Dawkins will adjourn the meeting