Dan Martin, Senior Finance Executive - KPMG
Strategic and forward-thinking Senior Finance Executive with extensive experience leveraging advanced accounting acumen to enhance financial operations and drive business growth across a dynamic roster of client industries. Proven track record of evaluating and responding to rapidly changing financial and regulatory environments through work with SEC reporting and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Possesses diverse subject-matter expertise in all aspects of accounting and auditing services needed to achieve firm goals for financial reporting and auditing. Sterling history of achievement at two of the Big Four auditors, leading public-accounting projects that received optimal reviews from PCAOB. Noted leader adept at recruiting and mentoring cross-functional teams to ensure successful operations. Certified Public Accountant in the State of Florida with MBA from the University of North Florida.
Areas of Expertise
Strategic Planning – Executive Communications – Financial Modeling – Internal Controls – P&L -SEC Reporting - GAAP – GAAS Risk Management – Forecasting & Budgeting-Sarbanes-Oxley Internal Controls - Project Management - Audit Compliance Financial Reporting – Cash-Flow Analysis - Corporate Taxation – Team-Building & Leadership
SENIOR MANAGER – AUDIT & ASSURANCE
Recruited to direct audit engagements for dynamic roster of clients across multimillion-dollar enterprises. Collaborate with C-level executives to identify client needs in order to design and implement service offerings and solutions. Lead multiple audit teams in-parallel, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of client engagements. Generate detailed audit reports citing potential performance improvements, technical accounting solutions, internal controls, and operational challenges, presenting all findings to audit committees and external Boards of Directors. Recommend improvements to public-filings including 10K, 10Q, S-1, and S-8 in compliance with GAAP and SEC reporting standards. Counsel internal-audit directors in opportunities for improvement to risk-based audit plans, identifying service gaps and recommended changes to internal- control processes. Prepare accurate GAAP financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, equity statements, cash-flow statements, and additional footnotes. Research and analyze complex accounting and auditing issues related to Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, IFRS standards, internal controls, stock-based compensation, equity transactions, revenue recognition, and inventory costing to determine resolutions that mitigate procedural problems.
• Nominated and served over six years as team member of National Audit Quality Review Team which is part of KPMG National Office, rating peer KPMG audit engagements for quality and compliance with firm standards and best practices.
• Spearheaded KPMG recruiting efforts as Recruiting Manager at the University of North Florida, interviewing students, delivering presentations, and serving as on-site representative for recruiting events.
• Served as Audit Team Leader during PCAOB and KPMG peer reviews of client engagements, consistently resulting in no material findings and top-flight review scores from PCAOB and KPMG National Quality Review Teams.
• Improved financial-statement audit results by designing internal process that tracked engagement progress against forecasted budgets and project pipelines.
• Awarded Jacksonville office Community Service Award for two consecutive years.
• Selected as KPMG National Educational Instructor, instructed courses for over four years as part of KPMG National Office.
• Representative client list includes: Publix Supermarkets (fortune 100 Company), Fanatics, Fidelity National Financial, Citi Trends, Tree of Life, Winn-Dixie, Lender Processing Systems & Consolidated Tomoka.
MANAGER – AUDIT & ASSURANCE, SENIOR AUDITOR, SENIOR ASSISTANT
Engaged through a rapid series of promotions to manage audit and assurance engagements. Reviewed, researched, and generated narratives and resolutions for reporting and disclosure issues related to 10K and 10Q reports. Led presentations with C-level executives and Boards of Directors to communicate technical accounting and audit issues, as well as solutions needed to improve processes and mitigate further escalations. Supported SAS 70 internal-control review engagements focused on detailed documentation and recommendations for financial- and computer-control improvements. Orchestrated due diligence on several engagements, overseeing comprehensive acquisition activities and directing purchase-price reviews. Delivered performance reviews of audit staff, identifying professional-development needs and counseling career- development action plans.
• Selected as Jacksonville Learning Advisory Coordinator for two consecutive years, leading national accounting and auditing training, as well as coordinating multiple learning seminars for internal staff.
• Reduced volume of audit hours necessary per engagement by reprioritizing audit events to focus on key risk areas, dramatically improving overall efficiency.
• Improved comprehensive audit activities by optimizing budget-forecast procedures, staff scheduling, and client relationships.
• Representative client list includes: Rayonier, Handy Way & Lil’ Champ Food Stores, Ring Power Corporation, Ryan’s Steakhouses, Florida Rock and King & Prince Seafood.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
SENIOR MANAGER & CONTROLLER, CENTRAL OPERATIONS – REGENCY CENTERS – Jacksonville, FL
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR OF ACCOUNTING & MANAGEMENT – WEBSTER UNIVERSITY – Jacksonville, FL
ASSISTANT CONTROLLER – RIVER GARDEN COMPANIES – Jacksonville, FL
STAFF ACCOUNTANT – HARBESON, BECKERLEG, AND FLETCHER CPAS – Jacksonville, FL
SUMMER CAMP STAFF-SARASOTA COUNTY & DUVAL COUNTY YMCA
CURRENT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
STEIN FELLOW & COMMUNITY RESOURCE TEAM – UNITED WAY – Jacksonville, FL
FISCAL COMPLIANCE OFFICER, EXECUTIVE & COMMUNITY BOARD MEMBER – AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY – Jacksonville, FL
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION – UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA – Jacksonville, FL
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN ACCOUNTING, MAGNA CUM LAUDE – JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY – Jacksonville, FL
CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT – STATE OF FLORIDA