Before You Apply - Please Read!
The University of North Florida (UNF) Urban Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) is a rigorous program. If accepted, you will embark on an intense ten-month study and practice into what is required to be an effective educator. You will leave with the knowledge and skills to lead your own classroom. The UNF UrbanEPI is consistently recognized by the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) as achieving the highest hire and retention rate of all EPI programs in the state. Our participants work hard for this recognition. Carefully consider the amount of time and study required to complete this program before you apply. The Urban EPI admits students every Fall. The application periods runs February through April of each year for the upcoming Fall start. All students will participate in a two-day orientation during the summer.
Required UNF Urban EPI Program Hours
The UNF Urban EPI program requires a total of 300 hours. These hours are accomplished through the following activities: Site Based Sessions, Practicum Hours, Online Reading Competency 2 Course, and outside readings.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university approved by the FLDOE. Degrees from institutes outside of the United States must be translated and validated by an agency such as Josef Sinly and Associates (http://www.jsilny.com)
- Applicants must have a Statement of Status of Eligibility giving them eligibility for a Temporary Certificate in the area they are seeking certification. Go to http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/steps.asp for information and to apply.
- If you don't have a degree in the area in which you are seeking certification, you may need to pass the Subject Area subtest. The FLDOE can confirm this when they review your transcripts only after you apply at the website above. The $75 fee is only charged once per subject area.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 or higher is preferred, though not required.
The following materials must all be submitted and received by UNF in order to be considered for admission into the program:*
Application (Links to a PDF application)
- Click the 'Application' button to access the current application packet.
- The application packet must be filled out online, then printed and signed before being submitted.
- Official Transcripts
- Please provide your official transcripts from every college or university you attended, even if you did not receive a degree.
- If you are a previous UNF student, you do not need to provide UNF transcripts.
- Your application will not be processed until all your transcripts have been received.
- $30 Application Fee
- Checks should be made out to "University of North Florida"
- Cash payments must be made to the Cashier's Office (UNF Hicks Hall, Building 53, Suite 1100)
- Statement of Status of Eligibility
Mail the application packet, official transcripts and application fee to the following address:
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Or they can be dropped off at:
One-Stop Student Services, Hicks Hall, Bldg 53, Suite 1700.
Applicants must meet all the admission requirements to be considered for enrollment into the program. Missing documents, fee or transcripts will delay this process, and may prevent the application from being considered.
- Applications are accepted until the application deadline date or until the program is filled - whichever comes first.