The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education, with the focus on Initial Certification for Exceptional Student Education, is designed to meet the needs of students who are interested in obtaining their initial Florida Certification in Special Education. The program consists of 75 semester hours that include prerequisites, core and major requirements. The amount of prerequisite course work will depend on the individual students educational background and ranges from 18 to 32 hours. The program is approved by the Florida Department of Education.
Those entering the College of Education and Human Services must meet Graduate School admissions requirements as well as specific COEHS admissions criteria.
1. Official transcripts from all attended institutions
2. GRE scores required (verbal, quantitative, and writing portions taken within the last 5 years)
*(Institutional Code: 5490)
3. Three current professional letters on official letter head (if applicable) with an original signature (electronic signatures are not acceptable). Letters from relatives will not be accepted. The letters should indicate:
*Applicant's academic background.
*Applicant's aptitude for graduate work.
*Applicant's capabilities for future performance an scholarship.
*At least one letter from a college/university professor is preferred.
4. Written statement of 500-1000 words that includes the following information:
*Reasons for seeking admission into the M.Ed. in Special Education program
*How the program will help attain goals
5. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for admissions must apply under the college’s exception policy.
Major: Special Education
Concentration: Exceptional Student Education
Degree: Master of Education
PASSING SCORES FOR ALL PARTS OF THE GRADUATE RECORD EXAM (GRE) OR THE GENERAL KNOWLEDGE EXAM (GK) ARE REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION.
Prerequisites (17 credits)
EDF6211 Advanced Ed'L Psychology (3 Credits)
EEX3250 Read Mthds:Learners Exception (3 Credits)
EEX4101 Language Development/Disorders (2-3 Credits)
RED3310 Teaching Reading as a Process (3 Credits)
TSL3080 Principles and Issues in TESOL (3 Credits)
TSL4340 TESOL Methods and Curriculum (3 Credits)
Core Requirements (22 credits)
CLINICAL Field I & II and Internship
Two years teaching experience is required or students MUST complete clinical requirements, which include the following:
EDF 3945 Field Lab I, EDF 3946 Field Lab II, and EEX 6841 Practicum: Special Education.
- Field Lab I and II and Internship, by state law, require all students be cleared for fingerprinting and background checks prior to placement.
- Field Lab I and II require 5 hours/week for 10 weeks in school system.
- Internship is the very last semester. ALL coursework must be completed before internship.
- ALL parts of the Florida Teaching Certificate Exam (FTCE) are required for graduation. This includes all parts of the General Knowledge (GK), the Professional Education (PED), and the Subject Area Exam (SAE) for Exceptional Student Education K-12.
EDF6480 Foundations of Ed Research (3 Credits)
EDF6607 Education in America (3 Credits)
EEX5053 Foundations Excep Ed and Serv (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (24 credits)
EEX5485 Math Sci Except Lrnrs (3 Credits)
EEX5665 Classroom Management (3 Credits)
EEX6052 Curri and Instruction (3 Credits)
EEX6225 Competencies:Lab in Evaluation (3 Credits)
EEX6234 Teaching Mod/Severe Disability (3 Credits)
EEX6256 Language for Learning Impaired (3 Credits)
EEX6283 Soc,Pers,Car: Except Student (3 Credits)
EEX6402 Comm, Coll, Consult Spec Ed (3 Credits)