The center’s goals include:
1. Increasing the visibility of COEHS urban education initiatives:
- Provide branding for the College's urban education focus.
- Facilitate the development of information and research that is easily accessible and presented in a user-friendly manner.
2. Creating a community of faculty, staff, and students within the University devoted to urban education research and outreach.
- Provide an affiliation for faculty involved in research and outreach efforts relative to urban education.
- Identify and facilitate discussions among collaborative work groups relative to specific urban research and outreach projects.
- Work collaboratively with the COEHS academic departments to identify research opportunities in urban education appropriate for graduate students doing dissertation and thesis projects.
3. Attracting new sources of funding:
- Identify potential funding opportunities (federal, state, local, foundation).
- Serve as a College resource for grant writing.
- Provide an overarching structure to support and manage funded projects for the Colleges' urban education activities.
4. Allowing for the expansion of urban-based programs, applied research and policy initiatives:
- Expand urban school partnerships.
- Increase applied research that addresses local Issues.
- Enhance educational equity and policy initiatives.
- Strengthen existing teacher education, leadership and other human services programs.
- Develop urban education leaders of the future.
5. Leveraging the impact of the COEHS Dean's Education Advisory Council:
- Provide focus and energy for strategic planning and recruiting.
- Foster the development of creative collaborations between COEHS and the community.
- Cultivate potential donors.
6. Creating a new sense of partnership with community stakeholders
- Promote and initiate collaborative projects focused on local education needs.
- Model collaborative approaches to addressing difficult issues in the local community.
- Identify opportunities to build community linkages.
- Become a centralized resource for urban education activities.