Early Childhood Education Program
The UNF Early Childhood Education Program includes a path that leads
to state certification in prek-primary/age 3 to grade 3, as well as a
minor in early childhood and a graduate certificate in Early Childhood.
The program is designed to provide intentional learning experiences to
enhance student knowledge of young children, increase engagement and
advocacy in the early childhood community, and provide opportunities for
personal growth. Students are afforded the opportunity to work with
children within the public schools as well as a variety of
The Early Childhood coursework meets
state certification requirements and follow guidelines provided by the
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC); the
International Literary Association (ILA); and the Division of Early
Childhood (DEC). The courses provide in-depth, research-based knowledge
on key areas for early childhood professionals working with children
from birth though age 8.
In addition to a traditional
prek-primary licensure program, we offer a minor in early childhood
education and a graduate certificate in Early Childhood. For more
information, please contact Dr. Katrina Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Christian Winterbottom at email@example.com.
An early childhood development of study concentration leading to a bachelors will be added in the spring.
Minor: Early Childhood Education
Minor: Early Childhood Education (18 credits)
- Conditions to the minor: No more than 6 credit hours are allowed to be transferred in from another institution. These transfer courses must be preapproved. A cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required for the minor. Some minor courses require an override from the College of Education and Human Services prior to registration. Some minor courses require an override from the College of Education and Human Services prior to registration.
CHOOSE 6 Credits of the following:
- EEC 4244 Int Soc Studies, Art/Music (6 credits)
- EEC 4213 Teaching Beginning Readg & Writing (6 credits)
- EEC 4210 Math, Science & Social Studies (6 credits)
- EEC 4054 Early Childhood Ldshp in Comm. Svc (3 credits)
- EDG 4905 Individual Investigation and Study (3 credits)
REQUIRED These are required courses:
- EEC 3266 Program Planning for Infants, Toddlers & Yg
- EEC 3408 Family School Partnerships
- EEC 4260 Teaching the Whole Child
- LAE 3210 Foundations of Literacy .