Study Abroad



In fulfillment of the International Educational Experience requirement, students may participate in:      


  • short-term programs led by UNF faculty, or   
  • semester-long programs at institutions with which UNF maintains exchange agreements. 

Subject to approval by the director of International Studies, students may also:   

  • enroll as transient students in study abroad programs run by other colleges and universities in the United States (including programs offered by other Florida institutions, through the Florida Shines program); 
  • enroll directly as foreign students universities outside the US; 
  • participate in programs coordinated by third-party study-abroad providers (who generally charge significant fees); or
  • pursue an internship with an international focus, in the US or abroad (see Internships).

Getting Help with Study Abroad


The UNF International Center can provide assistance to students interested in faculty-led programs and semester-long exchanges, as well as any of the other options mentioned above. For more information, please contact study abroad advisor Lauren Hodge.   
International Studies students may also be interested in short and long-term programs offered through the UNF International Business Flagship Program. For more information, contact Coggin Study Abroad.


Spain 1
 Spain 2
 Approvals and Paperwork


 Prior to enrolling in study abroad experiences, students must consult with all of the following:

  1. their academic advisor, 
  2. the director of International Studies, 
  3. the International Center, and 
  4. the chair of Languages, Literatures and Cultures (if pursuing language coursework abroad; see the note below). 
These meetings are essential in order for students to receive approval and complete paperwork related to financial aid and the transfer of academic credits (including the concurrent enrollment/transient form, or the “Use of Credits” form used by the Coggin College of Business). 
Registering for and Completing INR3950 International Educational Experience 
INR3950 is a 0-credit course used to mark completion of the International Educational Experience requirement on your transcript. You must register for this course during the semester in which you will be studying abroad. To do so, you must request permission by completing and submitting this form: INS3950 Approval Request. If you are participating in a faculty-led study abroad (with exception of those offered through Coggin Study Abroad), you will also need this form: INS Enrollment Verification and Use of Credits. For assistance, see your advisor or Clayton McCarl, director of International Studies. Note that you will be required to submit a short written piece about your experience, and possibly other documentation, in order to have INR3950 marked as completed. Details will be provided in the course site in Canvas for INR3950. 
 China 6 
 China 14 

 Study Abroad Scholarships 
The primary sources of funding available to International Studies students are as follows:   
  • The Student Affairs International Learning Scholarship (SAILS) offers $1,500 for short-term (10 weeks or fewer) and $2,500 for long-term (more than 10 weeks) experiences abroad. There are three deadlines per year (for the fall, spring and summer semesters). The International Center offers workshops to help students prepare high-quality applications, which is key to securing this funding. SAILS is generously funded by the University, and assists a significant number of students each year to study abroad. 
  • Many UNF study abroad programs are supported by Transformation Learning Opportunity (TLO) funds. Like SAILS, TLO is an institutional program that provides support to many students to study abroad. These funds are awarded to the programs/courses themselves, however, and distributed as scholarships automatically to program participants (students cannot apply for them directly). Students who receive TLO money through a study abroad program cannot apply SAILS funding for that same study abroad experience, as the two funding programs are exclusive of one another. 
  • The James Van Vleck Study Abroad Scholarship is made possible through the generosity of local philanthropist and honorary UNF alumnus Mr. James Van Vleck. This scholarship is awarded annually in the spring to one student majoring or minoring in International Studies. The application for the 2017 award is due Feb. 24. For more information, please contact Clayton McCarl, director of the International Studies Program. 



  • The Gray Study Abroad Scholarship offers awards of up to $2,000 to a small number of students majoring or minoring in Art History, English, Fine Arts, French Studies, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Spanish. Applications are due in the fall semester (generally early November).  
  • The Falloon Study Abroad Scholarship offers an award of $1,000 annually to one student in a major within the College of Arts and Sciences, to study in a country where English is not the primary language. 
  • The World Affairs Council of Jacksonville sponsors the annual Ambassador Marilyn McAfee Scholarship Program, which makes merit-based awards to help undergraduate and graduate students in the local area study abroad or undertake internships outside the U.S. 

  Other sources of funding:
  • The International Center maintains a list of other study abroad scholarships.   
  • The College of Arts and Sciences also offers a variety of scholarships to qualified students.   
  • Separate funding for study abroad is available to students enrolled in the Hicks Honors College, involving up to $3,000 for semester-long experiences. 


A student's regular financial aid should generally be applicable when paying for coursework taught by UNF professors as part of faculty-led programs. The same applies to students participating in UNF exchange programs, who pay their tuition at UNF, not at the host institution. For clarification on a case-by-case basis, please consult with a One-Stop Student Services coordinator. The International Center can also provide assistance in this area.  

 China 17
 Strasbourg 3
Note Regarding Language Coursework Taken Abroad

Students who intend to do foreign language coursework abroad, or to take literature or culture courses that they would like to apply to UNF programs of study in foreign languages (the minor in Chinese, French or Spanish, or the majors in French Studies and Spanish) or International Studies must contact Patricia Geesey, chair of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, prior to making such arrangements. Students seeking to receive academic credit at UNF for language coursework completed abroad should be aware that such credit can only be earned through coursework undertaken at (or through) universities or other institutions of higher learning, in the US or abroad, that can provide an academic transcript. Credit cannot be awarded for courses taken at language schools or academies, including those run by governmental entities. 


Students should be aware that when pursuing language study at many non-UNF programs abroad, they will be asked to take a placement test upon arrival. If a student places at a lower level than they anticipated, they may be placed into courses that do not match those mapped out prior to departure on the concurrent enrollment/use of credits form. This may, in turn, impact how courses are brought back as transfer credits and counted (or not counted) toward requirements for major or minor programs of study at UNF. 


*Does not apply to students participating in the summer programs in China, France and Spain led by faculty from the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.