The 2017-2018 Amy Wainright Scholarship Awards for Creative Writing
In honor and memory of Amy Wainright, a writing instructor at the University of North Florida from 1993 until 2013, the Department of English will award major prizes for the best undergraduate creative writing in three categories: poetry, short fiction, and creative nonfiction. The competition is open to all fully enrolled University of North Florida undergraduates with a continuously maintained GPA of 2.5 or higher. In each category the annual prize is $1,000* and departmental recognition. The winning writing this year will be published in whole or in part on broadside posters that will be displayed in the English Department and around the campus as well as on the departmental website. Along with the winner, the competition judges will name honorable mentions.
1. Short Fiction
2. Creative Non-Fiction
Eligibility for the 2018 Awards
- You must be a fully enrolled undergraduate, with a minimum GPA of 2.5, graduating no sooner than Spring, 2018.
- Manuscripts must consist of original work(s) of which you are the sole author.
- Manuscripts must comply with format guidelines and entry requirements.
- You may submit work that you have simultaneously submitted—but not that has been accepted—elsewhere for competition or publication.
- Deadline for submissions: Friday, January 19, 2018.
- Announcement of winners and finalists: Friday, March 23, 2018.
- Submission tool: Submittable.com (submit via the links in the "Award Categories" section above).
- Notes: So that we can ensure blind-submission process, all name and contact information will appear separately from the poetry or prose submissions. (Any manuscript with the writer’s name on it will be disqualified.).
- Titles must go in the Subject Line.
- Be sure to include your “n” number.