LockDown Browser is a custom browser that restricts students to just the Canvas testing environment. When instructors specify that a quiz must be taken using the LockDown Browser, students are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. The primary application for LockDown Browser is proctored testing in campus computer labs, but it can also be used for online “take-home” tests.
How to Get Started with LockDown Browser
1. Email email@example.com and let us know if you plan to use LockDown Browser in a computer lab or want to get the browser installed on students personal computers.
2. Include in your course syllabus:
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment in Canvas. Download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF).
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc.
- Clear your desk of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
3. Set up your exam(s) in Canvas; be sure to set a test availability window.
4. Once LockDown Browser has been added to your Canvas course, follow the directions outlined in the QuickStart Guide below. The QuickStart guide covers preparing a quiz, installing LockDown Browser, and taking a quiz.
Instructor QuickStart Guide
Setting up a LockDown Browser Practice Exam
Ensure your first exam using LockDown Browser runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser, before the graded exam occurs.
Leave the quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they use a different computer.
LockDown Browser System Requirements
Windows: 10, 8, 7
Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only)
Windows: 2 GB RAM
Mac: 512 MB RAM
Google Chromebooks are not supported
LockDown Browser Faculty Support Information
For LockDown Browser faculty support call CIRT at 904-620-3927. Or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.