Concentration: Historical & Comparative Studi
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Major Requirements (18 credits)
Requires grades of C or higher
PHH3100 Ancient Greek Philosophy (3 Credits)
PHH3400 Modern Philosophy (3 Credits)
PHI3601 Ethics (3 Credits)
SELECT ONE FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- PHI 3300 Introduction to Epistemology
- PHI 3500 Introduction to Metaphysics
PHI3130 (GM) Symbolic Logic (3 Credits)
Or take another Logic course
PHI4935 Philosophy Seminar (3-4 Credits)
Major Electives (15 credits)
Select 12 hours from the following track courses. The remaining 3 hours may be selected from the track or any other approved philosophy course except foreign culture courses.
At least 6 hours of electives must be at the 4000 level.
No more than 15 hours of transfer credit may be used.
Only 3 hours of PHI 4905 may be used in the major.
Grades of C or higher required in courses used toward the major.
- PHI 3120 The Greek Experience, PHI 3071 The Japanese and PHI 3930 Germany Today or other foreign culture courses may not be used as electives in the philosophy major.
SELECT 4 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- PHI 3664 Ethics East & West
- PHI 3930 ST: Philosophy
- PHI 3931 ST: East/West
- PHI 3935 ST: Ancient Greek Philosophy
- PHI 4930 ST: Philosophy
- PHI 4905 Directed Individual Study
- PHH 3104 Socrates & Sophists
- PHH 3500 19th Century Philosophy
- PHH 3811 Philosophy/Zen Buddhism
- PHH 3820 (FC) Chinese Philosophy
- PHH 4121 Ancient Greek Ethics
- PHH 4601 20th Contemporary Philosophy
- PHH 4620 20th Century Philo Anglo-American Tradition
- PHM 3500 Philosophy of History
- PHP 3700 Pragmatism
SELECT 1 ADDITIONAL 3000/4000 COURSE
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete the foreign language or foreign culture requirement with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- Part 1 of languages are typically offered in the fall and part 2 in the spring.
- Incoming Students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a "C" or better in a French or Spanish at the level at which they placed.
- Students who choose this option may also be eligible for a minimum of 3 credits and a maximum of 6 credits of retroactive credit if they complete with a "C" or above in a 3000 level French or Spanish course.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, although in this case placement will be determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (4 credits)
ELECTIVES 4 HOURS (3000/4000)
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).