Brooks College of Health building

Brooks College of Health Undergraduate Academic Policies


 Degree Progression & Change of Major

UNF students who want to change their major to a Brooks College of Health program must make the request at the Brooks College of Health Advising Office.

The University of North Florida encourages timely completion of degrees for undergraduate students. Students who enter UNF as a First Time in College (FTIC) student are expected to complete an undergraduate degree of 120 semester hours of credit within eight semesters if enrolled full-time. If the degree requires more than 120 semester hours, an additional semester may be required. Also, overseas study, certain internship or co-op experiences may extend the time needed for degree completion. Students who transfer hours earned in high school through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), dual enrollment, or other mechanisms and those entering with prior college credits or an Associate of Arts degree should complete their degrees in less time.     

The University of North Florida is committed to helping students achieve their educational goals and graduate in a timely manner. As a part of this commitment, students are required to declare an academic course of study or major at an appropriate time. Moreover, there may be restrictions on courses that do not contribute to degree completion, and students must follow guidelines regarding their ability to change major. To review the policy in full detail click here.



Concurrent or Transient Enrollment 

Any current UNF student interested in taking a course at another institution must receive permission from the Advising Office. Sophomore level students can take up to 8 credits at another institution. Upper-level courses specific to the student's major must be approved by the program director. Students must speak with an advisor before they fill out the electronic transient form prior to the semester they wish to take the course.      

^ Go to top

Degree Evaluation 

Each new upper-level transfer student and native sophomore, junior, senior UNF student must meet with the Brooks College of Health Academic Advising Office to review their degree evaluation once they enter the college. This meeting is mandatory and typically takes place prior to registration. Each admitted health student or UNF health student who reaches 30 credits will receive notification for a meeting. Health majors designated as honors students will be advised by an Honors advisor until they ready 60 credit hours. An Advising Hold will be placed on the student's account to ensure they meet with Advising in a timely manner. 


 All students must complete an online application for graduation through myWings by the deadline established in the university calendar. Students should not enroll at another institution during their last semester at UNF. Graduation will most likely be delayed to the subsequent semester for students who do attempt concurrent enrollment in their last semester. Students may not graduate with "I" (incomplete) grades, even if the course(s) is not required for graduation. Official transcripts for graduating seniors taking courses at other institutions in their last semester must be received in One-Stop Student Services by the required deadline. 

Defined Major for Limited Access Programs 

Students who are designated a Brooks College of Health limited access major including Prelicensure Nursing, Athletic Training, and Exercise Science must meet the minimum GPA admission requirement once the student has 45 attempted credit hours.  

Limited access major students who do not meet the minimum GPA admission requirement when they have 45 attempted credit hours must change their major before proceeding with additional coursework.  Students who fail to meet the limited access requirements will be placed on hold and must meet with an academic advisor to discuss a future program of study.

 A student who has changed their major due to ineligibility of admission requirements may apply for a limited access program once they meet the requirements.   

  ^ Go to top

 Academic Probation/Suspension 

Undergraduate students who fail to earn an overall GPA of 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. Academic Probation is based on the student's UNF GPA. The student will stay on probation until their UNF cumulative GPA  is above a 2.0. If the UNF overall GPA falls below 2.0 at the end of a semester in which a student is on academic probation, the student will be eligible for academic suspension. Students who are suspended will be dropped from any courses they are currently registered. 

 ^ Go to top   

Returning from Academic Probation or Suspension 

Students on academic probation that go inactive after non-enrollment for three consecutive semesters must receive permission from the program director to be re-admitted into the major. Suspended students who wish to be re-admitted must receive permission from the program director and chairperson. Certain majors within Brooks College of Health will not re-admit students who left the institution on probation or were suspended.   

^ Go to top

Withdrawal Policy

Effective Fall 2013, there is a course withdrawal limit for all degree-seeking and non-degree seeking undergraduate students. The limit is six (6) UNF course withdrawals.

  • Three (3) course withdrawals at the 1000/2000 level
  • Three (3) course withdrawals at the 3000 level or above 

Unused withdrawals are forfeited and may not be carried forward. After the withdrawal limit is reached, students will be blocked from further course withdrawals by the myWings registration system.  

Any course withdrawals that took place prior to Fall 2013 do not count toward the limit. The withdrawal limitation only applies to courses taken in Fall 2013 or later. Courses with a grade of "WM" (Medical Withdrawal), "WS" (Military Service Withdrawal), or "WR" (Withdrawal with Refund) are excluded from the limitation policy. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor prior to completing a course withdrawal if there are questions about how this will affect the academic record or future coursework options.

Please note that graduate students do not have a withdrawal limit.

^ Go to top