The mission of the UNF Master's Program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is to provide comprehensive training for individuals who wish to counsel diverse populations in a variety of mental health settings. This program provides students with an intellectually stimulating and supportive environment which encompasses academic rigor and promotes excellence, ethical and professional integrity, and effective interpersonal communication and therapeutic skills. Curricular experiences include opportunities to explore the life-span, social, and cultural foundations of behavior; practice psychotherapeutic and diagnostic skills; and complete extensive field experiences in order to apply knowledge and skills in professional settings.
Major: Clinical Mental Health Couns
Degree: Master of Science
Please note the following:
- Refer to the UNF graduate catalog for prerequisites to individual courses.
- Unless a course is identified as repeatable for credit, you may receive credit for a course only once. However, your GPA will reflect all repeated courses.
- Program Director approval is required prior to registering for course work at another institution.
- With Program Director approval, graduate level course work may be transferred from another regionally accredited institution.
- All students in the Brooks College of Health programs will be held accountable to the most recent Code of Ethics, Guides for Professional Conduct and/or Position Statements as developed by their respective disciplines. Refer to your program handbook and Brooks College of Health policy - Student Breach of Professional Behaviors (Click here)
- It is mandatory to follow the program course sequence. You must contact the program director for any changes in course sequence to be considered.
Major Requirements (51 credits)
MHS6430 Intro to Family Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6486 Human Dev Across Lifespan (3 Credits)
MHS6404 Theories in Clinical MHC (3 Credits)
MHS6700 Legal, Prof, Eth in Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6941 Clinical Counseling Skills (3 Credits)
MHS6876 Clinical Research Evaluation (3 Credits)
MHS6070 Psychopathology (3 Credits)
MHS6428 Counseling Diverse Populations (3 Credits)
MHS6510 Group Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6205 Assessment and Evaluation (3 Credits)
MHS6305 Career Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6800 Prac:Mental Health Counseling (3-6 Credits)
MHS6401 CMHC in Community Settings (3 Credits)
MHS6450 Addictions Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6470 Sexual Issue in Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6830 Intern in Mental Health Counse (3 Credits)
Major Electives (9 credits)
SELECT 9 HOURS FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- MHS6402 Overview of Brief Conseling
- MHS6431 Adv. Seminar in Family Counseling
- MHS6436 Counseling Military Families
- MHS6440 Counseling Couples
- MHS6500 Advanced Practice in Group Therapy
- MHS6610 Clinical Supervision in Counseling
- MHS6916 Conceptual/Research Independent Study in CMHC
- MHS6930 Special Topics in Counseling
- MHS6xxx Counseling Children and Adolescents