Bachelor of Science in Health, Exercise Science Track includes an internship component, so it is important to determine State Authorization of Distance Education and if you will be able to do an internship in other states, if desired. Please see the UNF State Authorization Status website for more information and updates. State Authorization of Distance Education is a complex and dynamic environment. Prospective students should check this site often for updates: http://www.unf.edu/distancelearning/about/StateAuthorization.aspx.
Major: Health Science
Concentration: Exercise Science
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Health
Prerequisites (27 credits)
All prerequisites must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher. For additional admission requirements, visit www.unf.edu/brooks/movement_science/admission_bsh_es.aspx
MAC1105 (GM) College Algebra (3 Credits)
MACX105, MACX140, MACX147 and MACX311 are acceptable substitutes for MAC1105. P (passing) grade from Credit by exam (AP, CLEP) is acceptable for the minimum B grade requirement. Please see your advisor to reflect the approval on degree evaluation.
BSC2085C Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 Credits)
BSCX085/X085L, PETX322/X322L, APKX100C, and BSCX093/ X093L are acceptable substitutes for BSC2085c. To take BSC2085c at UNF, the Biology department requires a grade of B or higher in BSC1010c.
BSC2086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4 Credits)
BSCX086/X086L, PETX323/X323L, APKX105/X105L, and BSCX094/X094L are acceptable substitutes for BSC2086c. To take BSC2086c at UNF, the Biology department requires a grade of B or better in BSC2085c.
CHEMISTRY General Chemistry I with Lab
CHMX045/X045L and CHMX030 are acceptable substitutes for General Chemistry I with lab requirement.
STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
STAX023, STAX030 and MACX147 are acceptable substitutes for STA2023.
PSY2012 Introduction to Psychology (3 Credits)
HUN2201 Basic Prin Human Nutrition (3 Credits)
HUNX201, HUNX577 and HSCX100 are acceptable substitutes for HUN2201.
SPC2608 Fundamentals of Speech (3 Credits)
SPCX600 and AEEX030c are acceptable substitutes for SPC2608.
Major Requirements (53 credits)
All Major, Elective, and Foreign Language requirements must be completed prior to internship. Any exceptions must have Program Director's approval. A minimum 2.0 UNF GPA is required prior to internship. Refer to course descriptions for prerequisite requirements.
- The Exercise Science program sequecing schedule is available online at http://www.unf.edu/brooks/ movement_science/exercise_science.aspx
- Honors in the major is available for those interested in pursuing research at graduate level after BSH graduation. See program director for more information.
HSC4612 Exercise Physio For Health Sci (3 Credits)
Recommended prerequisites: BSC2085c & BSC2086c
HSC4615L Lab Meth Ex Phys Hlth Sci (1 Credit)
PET3768C Exercise Instruction (3 Credits)
ATR4610 Research Sports Med (3 Credits)
HSC4549 Adv Exercise Physiology (3 Credits)
APK4125 Exercise Prescription (3 Credits)
PET4550 Physical Fitness Assessment (1 Credit)
PET3325 Functional Anatomy/Kinesiology (3 Credits)
Prerequisites: BSC2085c & BSC2086c
PET4627 Human Injury Prevention (3 Credits)
HSC3553 Pathophysiology (3 Credits)
PET3771C Business/Pract in Ex Phys (3 Credits)
PET3080 Physical Activity Epidemiology (3 Credits)
HUN4414 Nutrition Phys Act and Health (3 Credits)
APK4120C Clinical Exercise Physiology (3 Credits)
Prerequisites: HSC4612, HSC4615L, & PET3080
APK4941 Exercise Physiology Practice (3 Credits)
PEP4135 Princ Strength/Conditioning (3 Credits)
Prerequisites: HSC4612 & PET3312c
PET4943 Pre Internship Ex Sci (3 Credits)
- Must be completed in the semester immediately preceeding PET4942 - Internship.
- APK4912 Directed Independent Study - Honors in ES Research may substitute for Pre-Internship.
PET4942 Internship in Exercise Science (6 Credits)
- Must be completed in the last academic semester of enrollment.
- APK4971 Directed Independent Study - Honors in ES Thesis may substutute for Internship.
Free Electives (7 credits)
Major Electives must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
- If you are considering a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT), consider taking prerequisites required for the DPT program (http://www.unf.edu/brooks/athletic-physical/pt.html).
- Hours previously used to meet any program requirements can not be applied to this Elective area. Students must have a minimum of 120 total hours to graduate.
ELECTIVES Select 7 hrs (1000-4000) Level