Areas of Expertise
My research interests are in the area of human sexuality and sexuality development. This includes sexual behavior, conceptualizations of sexuality, HIV/AIDS, STIs, and social policy surrounding sexuality. As a counseling educator, I plan to explore the importance and the role of human sexuality counseling competencies in the work of counselors. My clinical interests include relationship counseling, sexuality-related issues, and sexual disorders. As of 2018, I am the Founding Editor of the Journal of Counseling Sexology & Sexual Wellness: Research, Practice, and Education (ISSN: 2577-1299).
My teaching experience and expertise is in the topics of counseling theory, skills, and assessment. In each of my courses, significant time and discussion is dedicated to exploring the role and identity of clinical mental health counselors. I also heavily employ experiential and practice-based learning in my classroom.
PhD Counseling, 2015, The George Washington University
MA Community Counseling, 2012, Montclair State University
BS Psycholgy, 2009, University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Community Sexual Health Education and Research Initiative, Founding Director
American Counseling Association, Member
Society for Sex Therapy and Research, Member
Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Member
Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Member
Chi Sigma Iota (International Counseling Honor Society), Member
Journal of Counseling and Development, Editorial Board Member
Journal of LGBTQ Issues in Counseling, Editorial Board Member
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- 2018 Health Innovation Research Grant $5,000
"Assessing the Impact of U=U on HIV Risk Perceptions, Behavioral Intentions, and Attitudes"
- 2017 Brooks College of Health Dean's Research Professorhip $54,000
"Encounter-level and Person-level Factors in HIV Risk among MSM: A Generalized Hierarchical Linear Model Using Sex Diary Methodology"
Publications & Presentations
Recent and Selected Publications
- Zeglin, R.J., Hergenrather, K.C., Hernandez Garcia, J. (2018). A systematic review of the common experiences of caregivers of HIV+ men who have sex with men: Implications for counselors. Journal of Rehabilitation, 84(1), 22-30.
- Zeglin, R.J., Hergenrather, K.C., Poppen, P.J., Choi, J., Reisen, C., Zea, M.C. (2018). Latino Sexual Beliefs Scale: An exploratory factor analysis of Latino MSM. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 47(1), 299-308. doi: 10.1007/s10508-017-0988-3
- Zeglin, R.J., Van Dam, D., Hergenrather, K.C. (2017). An introduction to proposed human sexuality counseling competencies. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, Online First at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10447-017-9314-y
- Zeglin, R.J. (2017). Sexual disorders in the DSM-5: Implications for counselors. Journal of Professional Counseling: Practice, Theory, and Research, 43(1), 17-31.
- Hergenrather, K.C., Zeglin, R.J., Conyers, L., Misrok, M., & Rhodes, S.D. (2016). Persons living with HIV/AIDS: Employment as a social determinant of health. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, 30(1), 4-31. doi: 10.1891/2168-66126.96.36.199
- Zeglin, R.J. (2016). Portrayals of Masculinity in â€œGuy Movies.â€ Journal of Men's Studies, 24(1), 42-59. doi: 10.1177/1060826515624390
- Zeglin, R.J., DeRaedt, M.R., & Lanthier, R.P. (2015). Does having children moderate the effect of child sexual abuse on depression?. The Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 24(6), 607-626. doi: 10.1080/10538712.2015.1057664
- Hergenrather, K.C., Zeglin, R.J., McGiure-Kuletz, M., & Rhodes, S.D. (2015). Exploring employment as a social determinant of health: A systematic review of longitudinal studies identifying employment trajectories and mental health outcomes. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, 29(3), 261-290. doi: 10.1891/2168-66188.8.131.521
- Zeglin, R.J. (2015). Assessing the role of masculinity in the transmission of HIV: A systematic review to inform HIV risk reduction counseling interventions for MSM. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 44(7), 1979-1990. doi: 10.1007/s10508-015-0501-9
- Zeglin, R.J., & Stein, J.P. (2015). Social determinants of health predict state incidence of HIV and AIDS: A short report. AIDS Care, 27(2), 255-259. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2014.954983
Recent and Selected Presentations
- Zeglin, R.J. (October, 2017). The Role of Sexuality Competencies in the Future Counselor Identity: A Delphi Study. Paper Presentation at the biannual conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Chicago, IL.
- Zeglin, R.J., Garcia, J.H., & Benitez, M. (July, 2017). A Survey of Counseling Students' Human Sexuality Counseling Competency. Poster Presentation at the annual conference of the American Mental Health Counselors Association. Washington, DC.
- Hergenrather, K.C., Zeglin, R.J., McGuire-Kuletz, M., & Rhodes, S.D. Counseling & Employment Considerations for an Inclusive LGBT Workforce: Applying the ALGBTIC Competencies. (April, 2015). Paper Presentation at the National Council on Rehabilitation Education conference. Newport Beach, CA.