Areas of Expertise
Sustainable building materials: carbon negative cement, low-energy cements, & alternative composites
Advanced cementitious composites: particle packing, fiber reinforcement, & cellular concrete
Concrete durability: sulfate attack, carbonation resistance, & alkali-silica reaction
Modeling: thermodynamic modeling of cement hydration
Multiscale characterization: chemical influences on micro- and macro-scale performance
University of California, Berkeley, CA, 2010-2013
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Major: Structural Engineering, Mechanics, and Materials
- Minors: Chemistry & Engineering and Business for Sustainability
- Thesis: Advances in Sustainable Cements
University of Texas, Austin, TX, 2008-2010
- M.S. in Civil Engineering
- Major: Infrastructure Materials Engineering
- ABET: Undergraduate courses to fulfill qualifications
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1998-2002
University of North Florida, Construction Management Dept., 2016-Pres.
EMPA: Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, 2015-2016
Calera Corp., 2013-2015
University of California, Berkeley, Dept. Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2010-2013
- Graduate Student Researcher, Prof. Paulo Monteiro
University of Texas, Austin, Dept. Civil, Arch., and Environmental Engineering, 2009-2010
- Research Assistant, Prof. Maria Juenger & Kevin Fowler
Artistry in Building, Inc., 2005-2008
- Residential General Contractor
T. Rowe Price, 2002-2005
- Retirement Plan Coordinator
- Investment Specialist
University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2016-Pres.
- Assistant Professor
- Undergraduate Courses Taught: Soils and Foundations, Mechanical and Electrical Systems, Construction Management Capstone, and Construction Materials
- Graduate Courses Taught: Advanced Construction Administration (Distance Learning)
- Certified Online Instructor
- Committees: University Appeals, Faculty Awards Selection, and Library Advisory
University of California, Berkeley, CA, 2012-2013
- Laboratory Instructor: Structure and Properties of Civil Engineering Materials
- Graduate Student Instructor: Concrete Materials and Construction
- Guest Lecturer: Concrete Materials and Construction
University of Texas, Austin, TX, 2009-2010
- Lead Teaching Assistant: Properties and Behavior of Engineering Materials
- Teaching Assistant: Structural Analysis
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award by the Graduate Division, University of California, Berkeley (2013).
- Best Student Poster Award by American Ceramic Society’s Cements Division (2012).
- Cement and Concrete Composites
- Construction and Building Materials
- Journal of the American Ceramic Society
- American Society of Civil Engineer's Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- ASTM International
- Committee C17 on Fiber-Reinforced Cement Products, voting member
- Committee C27 on Precast Concrete Products, voting member
- The American Ceramic Society: Cements Division
- American Concrete Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineer
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- EMPA Postdoc Fellowship co-supported by the European Commission's FP7: People Marie-Curie action COFUND and EMPA (2015-2016).
- Carlson-Polivka Fellowship by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (2013).
- Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Studies by the University of California, Berkeley (2010-2012).
- Eldon Durrett Scholarship, Lloyd P. and Kathryn M. Hayes Scholarship, and J.H. Dunn Endowed Opportunity Award (1998-2002).
Publications & Presentations
- Jeong, C.W. Hargis, S. Chun, J. Moon, Effect of Calcium Carbonate Fineness on Calcium Sulfoaluminate-Belite Cement, Materials 10 (2017) 900-918.
- Chitvoranund, F. Winnefeld, C.W. Hargis, S. Sinthupinyo, B. Lothenbach, Synthesis and hydration of alite-calcium sulfoaluminate cement, Advances in Cement Research 29 (2017) 101-111.
- W. Hargis, B. Lothenbach, C.J. Mueller, F. Winnefeld, Carbonation of calcium sulfoaluminate mortars, Cement and Concrete Composites 80 (2017) 123-134.
- Jeong, C.W. Hargis, S.-C. Chun J. Moon, The effect of water and gypsum content on stratlingite formation in calcium sulfoaluminate-belite cement pastes, Construction and Building Materials 166 (2018) 712-722.
- Hernandez-Cruz, C.W. Hargis, J. Dominowski, M. Radler, P.J.M. Monteiro, Fiber reinforced mortar affected by alkali-silica reaction: A study by synchrotron microtomography, Cement and Concrete Composites 68 (2016) 123-130.
- Hargis, A. Telesca, P.J.M. Monteiro, Calcium sulfoaluminate (ye'elimite) hydration in the presence of gypsum, calcite, and vaterite, Cement and Concrete Research 65 (2014) 15-20.
- Hargis, J. Moon, B. Lothenbach, F. Winnefeld, H.-R. Wenk, P.J.M. Monteiro, Calcium sulfoaluminate sodalite (Ca4Al6O12SO4) crystal structure evaluation and bulk modulus determination, Journal of the American Ceramic Society 97 (2014) 892-898.
- Hernandez-Cruz, C.W. Hargis, S. Bae, P.A. Itty, C. Meral, J. Dominowski, M. Radler, D.A. Kilcoyne, P.J.M. Monteiro, Multiscale characterization of the chemical-mechanical interactions between polymer fibers and cementitious matrix, Cement and Concrete Composites 48 (2014) 9-18.
- Hargis, M. C.G. Juenger, P.J.M. Monteiro, Aggregate passivation: Lithium hydroxide aggregate treatment to suppress alkali-silica reaction, ACI Materials Journal 110 (2013) 567-576.
- Hargis, A.P. Kirchheim, P.J.M Monteiro, E.M. Gartner, Early age hydration of calcium sulfoaluminate (synthetic ye'elimite, C4A3$) in the presence of gypsum and varying amounts of calcium hydroxide, Cement and Concrete Research 48 (2013) 105-115.
- Chen, C.W. Hargis, M.C.G. Juenger, Understanding expansion in calcium sulfoaluminate-belite cements, Cement and Concrete Research 42 (2012) 51-60.
- Chen, M. Devenney, S.O. Morgan, C. Hargis, Methods and compositions using water repellants, US Patent App. 14/662,974 (2015).
- Saint Gobain University Days, Paris, France (2015), Sustainable binders for mortar presentation and poster.
- American Ceramic Society's 3rd Advances in Cement-based Materials, Austin, TX (2012), Early-age hydration of calcium sulfoaluminate poster.