Areas of Expertise
Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Prefabrication in Construction
Cyber-Physical Systems in Construction and Operation of Facilities
Ph.D. in Architectural Engineering, Penn State University (2016)
M.S. in Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology (2010)
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology (2007)
Dr. Ramaji an Assistant Professor in the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction at the University of North Florida (UNF). His current research focuses on Building Information Modeling (BIM), industrialized construction, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), and application of cyber-physical systems in construction and operation of facilities. Dr. Ramaji is also the director of the Technology in Construction (TiC) Lab at UNF.
Before joining UNF, he worked as a Research Assistant at the Pennsylvania State University in the Architectural Engineering Department. In one of his research projects, he worked on interpretation of analytical models (e.g., structural analysis) form BIM models; In 2016, this project was recognized by buildingSMART International as the best research project on open BIM technologies. In another project, Dr. Ramaji worked with the modular building industry for more than four years to facilitate implementation of BIM in modular building projects. Also, he worked with the Computer Integrated Construction (CIC) research group and National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) on development of an algorithm and its implementation in OpenStudio for generating energy and lighting analytical models directly form BIM models. In addition, Dr. Ramaji collaborated with the Pennsylvania Housing Research Center (PHRC) in its educational and research programs.
Dr. Ramaji has received both his M.S. and B.S. in Civil Engineering from the Sharif University of Technology in Iran, and worked five years in the building and bridge industry (both in design and construction firms) before he started his Ph.D. studies at the Pennsylvania State University. He is Ramaji is also a licensed Professional Engineers (P.E) in the area of Civil Engineering.
- buildingSMART International's best reseach project on BIM open technologies (2016)
- Chicago Committee on High Rise Buildings (CCHRB) Scholarship (2015)
- Rojer J. Glunt Graduate Fellowship (2014 and 2015)
- Builders Association of Central PA scholarship (2013 and 2015)
- Awarded the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Student Award (2014)
- ankins Endowment Scholarship (2014)
Publications & Presentations
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2017). "Interpretation of structural analytical model from BIM models in coordination view." under review.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2017). "Extending the current model view standards to support multi-story modular building construction." under review.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2017). "Implementation of the Interpreted Information Exchange from Software Development Point of View." under review.
- Ramaji, I. J., Memari, A.M., and Messner, J. (2017). "Product-oriented information exchange framework for multi-story modular building projects." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000649.
- Ramaji, I. J., Gultekin-Bicer, P., Crowley, R. W., Lambert, J. D. (2017). "Investigation of Leveraging BIM Standards to Facilitate Sustainability Evaluations from Early Stage of Design", 2017 International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering Conference (IWCCE 2017).
- Gultekin-Bicer, P., Ramaji, I. J., Anumba, C. J. (2017). "Comparison of Energy Analysis Building Information Modeling Workflows", 2017 International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering Conference (IWCCE 2017).
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2016). "Product Architecture Model for multi-story modular buildings." Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 4016047.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2016). "Interpreted information exchange: a systematic approach for BIM to engineering analysis information transformations." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE, 4016028.
- Ramaji, I. J., Messner, J., Leicht, R. (2016). Leveraging Building Information Models in IFC to Perform Energy Analysis in OpenStudio, ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA SimBuild 2016 Conference, August 10-12.
- Mostavi, E., Asadi, S., Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2016). "Completing the Missing Puzzle Piece of Building Design Process: Modeling and Identifying Occupantsâ€™ Satisfaction Level in Commercial Buildings." 2016 Construction Research Congress (CRC2016), May 31-June 2.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2016). "Extending the current model view standards to support multi-story modular building construction." submitted to Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari (2016). "Implementation of Interpreted Information Exchanges from software development point of view." submitted to Advanced Engineering Informatics.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2015). "Information exchange standardization for BIM application to multi-story modular residential buildings." AEI 6th Conference, March 24-27, Milwaukee, WI, 13-24.
- Ramaji, I. J., Memari, A.M., and Solnosky, R. (2014). "Integrated BIM platform for multi-story modular building industry." PHRC 2nd Annual Residential Building Design & Construction Conference, February 19-20, State College, PA, 230-244.
- Solnosky, R., Memari, A.M., and Ramaji, I.J. (2014). "Structural BIM processes for modular multi-story buildings in design and construction", PHRC 2nd Residential Building Design & Construction Conference, February 19-20, State College, PA, 201-215.
- Ramaji, I. J., and Memari, A.M. (2013). "Identification of structural issues in design and construction of multi-story modular buildings." PHRC 1st Residential Building Design & Construction Conference, February 20-21, Bethlehem, PA, 294-303.
- Jafaramaji, I., and Mofid, M. (2012). "On the characteristics and seismic study of Hat Knee Bracing system in steel structures."Steel & Composite Structures, 13(1), 1-13.