Areas of Expertise
Basic science and laboratory work, clinical trials and translation of research findings to a community setting and public health. The primary area of interest is nutrition and lifestyle modification as it relates to inflammation, oxidative stress, and chronic disease, especially obesity and cancer, and the relationship between the gut microflora and dietary factors.
- Licensed Dietitian, Florida, 2017.
- Registered Dietitian, University of Iowa, 2013.
- Ph.D., Nutrition, Minor in Biostatistics, University of Minnesota, 2006.
- M.P.H., Nutrition, University of Sao Paulo, 2000.
- B.S., Nutrition, University of Sao Paulo, 1997.
Dr. Arikawa has a bachelors degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil and a Masters degree in Public Health from the same university. She received her doctoral degree in Nutrition with a minor in Biostatistics from the University of Minnesota where she worked as a postdoctoral fellow and research associate for eight years. Dr. Arikawa joined UNF in 2014 and her primary research interests include the role bioactive components in foods and the gut microflora play on prevention and treatment of chronic disease as well as dietary and lifestyle behavior modification to improve biomarkers associated with inflammation, obesity, and cancer risk.
TREC Trainee Award for Excellence - NIH/NCI
American Society for Nutrition
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
First Coast Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- UNF-US Women and Girls Health Professorship $15,000 PI
Date: 05/2017 -05/2019
Title: Effects of fermented vegetables on markers of inflammation and composition of the intestinal microflora in overweight and obese women.
UNF- Faculty Development Grant $30,000 PI
Date: 07/2017 â€“ 06/2018
Title: Dietary supplement use in young adults: relationship with lifestyle, psychological, and biological factors.
- UNF- Faculty Development Grant $20,000 PI: Fuglestad, P.
Date: 06/2015 - 07/2017
Title: Using tailored messages to encourage healthy lifestyle choices in a brief, self-directed intervention.
Publications & Presentations
Refereed Journal Articles
- Arikawa AY, Samavat H, Gross M, Kurzer MS (2017). Plasma F2-isoprostanes are positively associated with glycemic load, but inversely associated with dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids, and insoluble fiber in postmenopausal women. J Nutr in press. Doi: 10.3945/jn.117254631.
- Arikawa AY, Kaufman BC, Raatz SK, Kurzer MS (2018). Effects of a parallel arm randomized controlled weight loss pilot study on biological and psychosocial parameters of overweight and obese breast cancer survivors. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 4: 17. DOI 10.1186/s40814-017-0160-9. http://rdcu.be/t5HR.
- Jahan-mihan A, Labyak C, Arikawa A, Ertemin-Pearson E (2016). The effect of devazepide (CCK-1 receptor blocker) on food intake suppression induced by whey protein and glycomacropeptide in wistar rats. Curr Nutr Food Sci. Epub: http://www.currentnutritionfoodscience.com/articles/148262/the-effect-of-devazepide-cck-1-receptor-blocker-on-food-intake-suppression-induced-by-whey-protein-and-glycomacropeptide-in-wistar-rats .
- Jahan-mihan A, Labyak C, Arikawa A (2016). The effect of characteristics of proteins fed during gestation and lactation on development of metabolic syndrome in dams and male offspring of wistar rats. Obes Sci Pract. doi: 10.1002/osp4.95.
- Dostal A, Arikawa A, Espejo L, Bedell S, Kurzer MS, Stendell-Hollis NR (2016). Green tea extract and catechol-O-methyltransferase genotype modify the postprandial serum insulin response in a randomised trial of overweight and obese postmenopausal women. J Hum Nutr Diet. 30(2): 166-76. Doi: 10.1111/jhn.12408.
- Dostal AM, Arikawa AY, Espejo L, Kurzer MS (2016). Long-term supplementation of green tea extract does not modify adiposity or bone mineral density in a randomized controlled trial of overweight and obese postmenopausal women. J Nutr. 146:256-64. PMCID:PMC4725430.
- Dostal, AM, Arikawa AY, Espejo L, Hasti A, Bedell S, Kurzer MS, Stendell-Hollis, NR (2016). Green tea extract and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype modify fasting serum insulin and plasma adiponectin concentrations in a randomized controlled trial of overweight and obese postmenopausal women. J Nutr. 146(1): 38-45. PMCID:PMC4700981.
- Crawford TN, Arikawa AY, Kurzer MS, Schmitz KH, Phipps WR (2015). A cross-sectional study of factors influencing sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations in normal cycling premenopausal women. Fertility and Sterility. 104(6): 1544-51. PMCID:PMC4663171.
- Arikawa, AY, Jakits, HE, Flood, A, Thomas, W, Gross, M, Schmitz, KH, Kurzer, MS (2015). Consumption of a high glycemic load but not a high glycemic index diet is marginally associated with oxidative stress in young women. Nutr Res. 35(1): 7-13. PMCID:PMC4282943.
- Arikawa, AY, Thomas, W, Patel, SR, Kurzer, MS (2013). No effect of exercise on urinary 6-sulfatoxymelatonin and catecholamines in young women participating in a 16-week randomized controlled trial. CEBP 22(9):1634-6. PMCID:PMC3769436.
- Arikawa, AY, Thomas, W, Gross, M, Smith, AJ, Phipps, WR, Kurzer, MS, Schmitz, KH (2013). Aerobic training reduces systemic oxidative stress in young women with elevated levels of F2-isoprostanes. Contemp Clin Trials 34(2):212-217. PMCID:PMC3593978.
- O'Dougherty, M, Heart, MO, Arikawa, AY, Stovitz, SD, Kurzer, MS, Schmitz, KH (2012). Young women's physical activity from one year to the next: what changes? What stays the same? Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy, and Research 2(2):129-36. PMCID:PMC3589798.
- Arikawa, AY, O'Dougherty, M, Kaufman, BC, Schmitz, KH, Kurzer, MS (2012). Attrition and adherence of young women to aerobic exercise: Lessons from the WISER study. Contemp Clin Trials 33:298-301. PMCID:PMC3268827.
- Smith, AJ, Phipps, WR, Arikawa, AY, O'Dougherty, M, Kaufman, B, Thomas, W, Schmitz, KH, Kurzer, MS (2011). Effect of aerobic exercise training on premenopausal sex hormone levels: a randomized controlled trial in healthy, sedentary, eumenorrheic women. CEBP 20(6): 1098-106. PMCID:PMC3111819.
- Arikawa, AY, Thomas, W, Schmitz, KH, Kurzer, MS (2011). Sixteen weeks of exercise reduces C-reactive protein levels in young women. MSSE 43(6):1002-9. PubMed Central - in process.
- Arikawa, AY, O'Dougherty, M, and Schmitz, KH (2011). Adherence to a Strength Training Intervention in Adult Women. J Phys Act Health 8(1): 111-8. PMCID:PMC3032419.
- Arikawa, AY, Kurzer, MS, Thomas, W, Schmitz, KH (2010). No effect of exercise on insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1, insulin and glucose in young women participating in a 16-week randomized controlled trial. CEBP 19(11):2987-90. PMCID:PMC2976790.
- Arikawa, AY, O'Dougherty, M, Kaufman, B, Smith, AJ, Thomas, W, Warren, M, Kurzer, MS, Schmitz, KH (2010). Women in Steady Exercise Research (WISER): Study Design and Methods. Contemp Clin Trials 31(5):457-65. PMCID:PMC2930115.
- O'Dougherty, M, Arikawa, A, Kaufman, B, Kurzer, MS, Schmitz, KH (2010). Purposeful exercise and lifestyle physical activity in the lives of young adult women: Findings from a diary study. Women and Health 49(8): 642-61. PMCID:2829716.
- Arikawa, AY and Gallaher, DD (2008) Cruciferous Vegetables Reduce Morphological Markers of Colon Cancer Risk in Dimethylhydrazine-Treated Rats. J Nutr 138(3): 526-32.
- Plate, AYA and Gallaher, DD (2005) Effects of indole-3-carbinol and phenethyl isothiocyanate on colon carcinogenesis induced by azoxymethane in the rat. Carcinogenesis 27(2): 287-92.
- Plate, AYA, Crankshaw, D, and Gallaher, DD (2005). Effect of anesthesia by ether or isoflurane on activity of cytochrome P450 2E1 in rat liver. Anesthesia and Analgesia 101(4): 1063-4.
- Plate, AYA and Areas, JAG (2002) Cholesterol-lowering effect of extruded amaranth (Amaranthus caudatus L.) in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Food Chem 76(1):1-6.
- Fermentation, Department of Health Promotion Ogier Gardens Workshop on Fermented Foods, Spring 2017, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, March 9th.
- Exploring the Relationship between the Gut Bacteria and Obesity. UNF Department of Nutrition and Dietetics Spring 2015 Conference and Recognition, 2015, Jacksonville, FL, April 10th.
- Effects of Aerobic Exercise Training on Breast Cancer Risk Factors in Young Eumenohrreic Women. American College of Sports Medicine Symposium, 2011, Denver, CO, June 4th.
- Correlates of night-eating behavior in a sample of emerging adult women. Symposium presented at the International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity meeting 2010, Minneapolis, MN, June 9th-12th.
- Effects of exercise training on adipokines, ghrelin and inflammatory markers. Presented at 9th TREC center scientific meeting, 2009, Seattle, WA, October 6th.
- Women in Steady Exercise Research (WISER): updates on biological and behavioral measures. Presented at 7th TREC center scientific meeting, 2008, Bethesda, MD, October 13th-15th.