Areas of Expertise
My practical and research interests include Human Research Management (Selection and Turnover), Organizational Behavior (Individual Traits, Personality, and Cognitive Ability), Leadership, and Organizational Design. I enjoy doing research in these areas and working with organizations to help them improve processes using evidence-based principles.
- Ph.D., Management, Auburn University, 2013.
- M.B.A., Georgia State University, Concentration in Management/Organizational Development, 2004.
- B.S., Sociology, Brigham Young University, 1996.
I have an extensive educational and work background. After finishing my undergraduate degree at Brigham Young University, I worked in the private sector for over 10 years before returning to school for my Ph.D. My work experience includes supervisory, human resource, and management positions in the customer service, aerospace, and information technology industries, and in large and small businesses. I completed my MBA at Georgia State University while working, and returned to Auburn University in 2007 to begin my Ph.D. in Management, which I completed in 2013. My academic experience includes teaching assignments at Auburn University, Georgia Southwestern State University, and now at the University of North Florida, where I am currently an Assistant Professor of Management.
- Best Paper Award, International Academy of Business Disciplines Annual Conference, 2017
- Exemplary Teaching Award, UNF Department of Management, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17
- Exemplary Research Award, UNF Department of Management, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17
- "Most Valuable Professor" Award, Georgia Southwestern State University Athletic Department, 2012-2013
- Recipient of the Feild-Armenakis Fellowship, 2010
- Academy of Management
- Southern Management Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
Publications & Presentations
- Flynn, C.B. (2017). Interactive effects of manager and subordinate job satisfaction on subordinate turnover intentions, Quarterly Review of Business Disciplines, 4(2), 85-102.
- Haynie, J.J., Flynn, C.B., and Mauldin, S. (2017). Proactive personality, core self-evaluations, and engagement: the role of negative emotions ", Management Decision, 55(2), pages not yet assigned. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/MD-07-2016-0464
- Flynn, C. B., Smither, J. W., & Walker, A. G. (2016). Exploring the relationship between leaders core self-evaluations and subordinates perceptions of servant leadership: A field study. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 23(3), 260-271. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1548051815621257
- Mazzei, M. J., Flynn, C. B., & Haynie, J. J. (2016). Moving beyond initial success: Promoting innovation in small businesses through high-performance work practices. Business Horizons, 59(1), 51-60. doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2015.08.00
- Haynie, J. J., Harris, S. G., & Flynn, C. B. (2016). The mitigating effects of core self-evaluations in uncertain environments. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 37(2), 226-240. doi:10.1108/lodj-05-2014-009
- Flynn, C.B., Feild, H.S., and Bedeian, A.G. (2011). â€œLife Could Be a Dreamâ€: What U.S. Management Doctoral Students Consider Important in an Initial Academic Appointment. Career Development International. 16:4, pp. 316-341.
- Flynn, C.B. 2017. Interactive Effects of Manager and Subordinate Job Satisfaction on Subordinate Turnover Intentions. Accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the International Academy of Business Disciplines, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Flynn, C.B., Walker, A.G., and Svyantek, D.J. 2017. Predicting Managerial Performance: Testing an Integrated Model. Accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the International Academy of Business Disciplines, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Haynie, J.J., Flynn, C.B., & Mauldin, S. 2016. Core Self-Evaluations, Proactive Personality, and Job Engagement: Main Effects and The Role of Context. Paper accepted for presentation at the annual meeting for the Southern Management Association, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Flynn, C.B., Smither, J.W., and Walker, A.G. (2014). Servant Leadership Mediates the Relationship between Leadersâ€™ Core Self-evaluations and Subordinatesâ€™ Perceptions of Leadership Effectiveness. Paper accepted for poster presentation for the annual meeting of the Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology (SIOP), Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Flynn, C.B., Harris, S.G., Walker, A.G., and Haynie, J.J. (2011). Interactive Effects of Manager and Employee Job Satisfaction on Employee Turnover Intentions. Paper accepted for poster presentation at the annual meeting of the Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology (SIOP), Chicago, Illinois.
- Haynie, J.J., Flynn, C.B., & Harris, S.G. (2011). The Detrimental Effects of Change Uncertainty: An Examination of Behavioral Plasticity Theory. Paper accepted for presentation at the annual meeting for the Southern Management Association, Savannah, Georgia.