Areas of Expertise
Experimental Solid State Physics, Nanotechnology
Ph.D. Applied Physics, Yale University (2009)
I went to college at Rice University, graduating in 2000 with majors in physics and English. After college, I enrolled in the Creative Writing Program at the University of Houston, earning an MFA in 2003. Then I pursued graduate studies in the Department of Applied Physics at Yale University, where I completed my PhD in 2009. My doctoral research was in the group of Prof. Daniel Prober. This research focused on exploring new behavior that emerges in electronic systems at very small length scales and on exploiting this behavior to develop new types of electronic and optoelectronic devices. After graduating, I continued this research at Yale for three years as a postdoctoral associate.
In the fall of 2012, I joined the faculty at UNF. In my lab at UNF, we are pursuing research in the areas of superconducting thin-film devices and the physics of low-dimensional conductors. This work is supported by the National Science Foundation through grants from the Electronics, Photonics, and Magnetic Devices Program and the CMMI Nanomanufacturing Program. Previous support came from a Cottrell College Science Award from Research Corporation for Science Advancement and the NASA-Florida Space Grant Consortium.
Publications & Presentations
- "A distributed electrical model for superconducting nanowire single photon detectors," Q.-Y. Zhao, D.F Santavicca, D. Zhu, B. Noble, and K.K. Berggren, Appl. Phys. Lett. 113, 082601 (2018) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Prospects for faster, higher-temperature superconducting nanowire single-photon detectors," D.F. Santavicca, Superconductor Science and Technology 31, 040502 (2018) [journal]
- "Expanding the molecular-ruler process through vapor deposition of hexadecanethiol," A.M. Patron, T.S. Hooker, D.F. Santavicca, C.P. Causey, and T.J. Mullen, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 8, 2339-2344 (2017) [journal]
- "Single-photon imager based on a superconducting nanowire delay line," Q.-Y. Zhao, D. Zhu, N. Calandri, A.E. Dane, A.N. McCaughan, F. Bellei, H.-Z. Wang, D.F. Santavicca, and K.K. Berggren, Nature Photonics 11, 247-251 (2017) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Terahertz spectroscopy of individual single-walled carbon nanotubes as a probe of Luttinger-liquid physics," J.D. Chudow, D.F. Santavicca, and D.E. Prober, Nano Letters 16(8), 4909-4916 (2016) [journal]
- "Microwave dynamics of high aspect ratio superconducting nanowires studied using self-resonance," D.F. Santavicca, J.K. Adams, L.E. Grant, A.N. McCaughan and K.K. Berggren, J. Appl. Phys. 119, 234302 (2016) [journal] [arXiv]
A full publication list can be found here.