Areas of Expertise
Dr. Jiménez’s research interests are in physical/materials chemistry, focusing on:
• Preparation and processing (e.g. solid-state chemistry, in situ techniques, laser irradiation) of novel optical materials such as nanoparticle and rare-earth doped glasses and thin films
• Optical interactions and energy transfer processes at the nanoscale (e.g., plasmonics)
• Luminescence and optical spectroscopy of solids, emphasizing amorphous systems
• Time-resolved spectroscopy and nonlinear optics
• Materials characterization and analysis (e.g. XPS, XRD, TEM, Raman)
Projects are envisioned for the design of material systems for a wide range of functional applications such as laser materials, display devices, optical data storage, telecommunications, solar cell technology, chemical sensing, antimicrobial bio-composites ,and tissue engineering. Obtaining physico-chemical insights on underlying material properties and the tailoring of such for applications are key aspects of the research.
Bachelor of Science - Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico 1998
Ph.D. - University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez 2009
Postdoctoral Research - New College of Florida, Sarasota, FL 2010-2011
Publications & Presentations
J.A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, “Unfolding diffusion-based Ag nanoparticle growth in SiO2 nanofilms heat-treated in air via in situ optical microspectroscopy”, Opt. Mater. 35 (2013) 968.
M. Sendova, J.A. Jiménez, “Plasmonic coupling in silver nanocomposite glasses”, J. Phys. Chem C 116 (2012) 17764.
J.A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, “Kinetics of Ag nanoparticle growth in thick SiO2 films: An in situ optical assessment of Ostwald ripening”, Mater. Chem. Phys. 135 (2012) 282.
J.A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, “In situ isothermal monitoring of the enhancement and quenching of Sm3+ photoluminescence in Ag co-doped glass”, Solid State Commun. 152 (2012) 1786.
J.A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, K. McAlpine, “Revealing oxidation kinetics of dielectric-embedded Ag nanoparticles via in situ optical microspectroscopy”, Chem. Phys. Lett. 523 (2012) 107.
J.A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, “Real-time optical microspectroscopy and activation energy of Ag nanoparticle growth in thin SiO2 films”, Phys. Procedia 29 (2012) 36.