Areas of Expertise
Aging, chronic disease, coronary heart disease, depression, dietetics practice, homelessness, vegetarian diets, vitamin D, vitamin B-12
• Doctorate in Clinical Nutrition. University of Medicine & Dentistry, New Jersey. 2010
• M.S. in Food and Nutrition. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida. 1986
• B.S. in Dietetics. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida. 1981
Delores Truesdell, DCN, RD, LD/N became a registered dietitian in 1987 and also has about 25 years of professional experience teaching at the university level (mostly Florida State University). Prior to this, she was owner of two private practices, founder of Nutrition On Wheels, a nutrition consulting company, that went into people’s homes. Started in 1987, Nutrition on Wheels provided nutrition programs for physicians, state agencies, as well diverse groups of people with an emphasis on evidence-based practice and long-term follow-up. Dr. Truesdell has worked as a consultant dietitian/researcher in nursing homes, retirement centers, mental health centers, with developmental disabled centers, as well in hospitals and with Children’s Medical Services-developed thousands of nutrition plans for clients in the areas of weight management, women’s health, eating disorder recovery, various medical and health concerns, and disease prevention and wellness.
Dr. Truesdell is an active member of the Florida Dietetic Association and has lectured extensively on basic nutrition and clinical nutrition. She has presented across the state, US, and in London and Costa Rica.
Dr. Truesdell’s most recent research interest is related to vitamin D status and coronary heart disease risk in overweight, postmenopausal women and results of her study with Dr. Illich-Ernst were published in the Journal of Women’s Health this year. She has written chapters in several textbooks and the author of several peer-reviewed articles including publications in Topics in Clinical Nutrition, the Journal of the American Dietetic Association and the Journal of Food Science.
• 2005 “Centennial Laureate Award,” College of Human Sciences, FSU.
• 2001 Alumni Award “Outstanding Service Award,” College of Human Sciences, FSU.
• 2000 Chalmer’s and Flora Davies Memorial Award,” from The American Dietetic Association Foundation
• 1999 “Public Service Award” from the Florida Dietetic Association.
• American/Florida/Tallahassee Dietetic Association
• Florida Food Safety & Food Defense Advisory Council
• Jacksonville Dietetics Association
Grants and Contracts Awarded
• UNF Nutrition Faculty Proposal for Manual of Medical Nutrition Therapy Co-editor. (2009-2014) $8,000 per year. Florida Dietetic Association. Co-editors Christie, C, N. Correa-Matos, J. Rodriguez, J. Perkin, J. Shank, and C. Sealey-Potts.
• May 2011 –Two Grant Writing Workshops. Duval County Health Department. Center for Professional Development, Jacksonville, Fl.
• March 2004 - $300,000 Grant proposal submitted to Attorney General Office– Homeless Nutrition Education Initiative, 2002. Shelter received $30,000 this month as a result.
Publications & Presentations
Truesdell, D, Shin H, Pei-Yang, L, Illich-Ernst J. (2011) Vitamin D Status and Framingham Risk Score in Overweight Postmenopausal Women Living in Florida. Journal of Women’s Health. 20:2010-2599.
Truesdell, D, Ziegler J. (2011) Unintended weight loss and non Hodgkin lymphoma in a frail, elderly patient. Topics in Clinical Nutrition. 23(6) 198-207.
Liu, P-Y, Shin H, Truesdell D, Ilich J. Lower serum vitamin D levels are associated with higher adiposity markers in overweight, postmenopausal women. The 7th Asia Pacific Conference on Clinical Nutrition. June -8, 2011, Bangkok, Thailand. (Also part of Online Abstract Book, Abstract #420 http://www2.kenes.com/apccn/scientific/Pages/ListofAbstracts.aspx)
Truesdell, D. Raddler D. (2009) Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Concepts and Strategies for Registered Dietitians. Nutrition in Complementary Care. Vol. 11(4):57,60-63
Truesdell, D. (2009) The efficacy of nutrition and lifestyle approaches in the treatment of depression. Topics in Clinical Nutrition 24:55-66
July 2008 - Food Safety & the U.S. Dietary Guidelines. Fl Department Agriculture for Food Safety & Food Security Advisory Council, Tallahassee, Florida.
October 2007-Florida State University’s Food Merchandising Program, ADA Food & Nutrition Conference & Exhibition (FNCE) Philadelphia.