Areas of Expertise
Aluminum Alloy Metallurgy
Mechanical Behavior of Metals and Alloys
Statistics of Materials
Quality Assessment and Improvement
Problem Identification, Solution Development and Continuous Improvement
Ph.D., University of Birmingham (UK), Metallurgy and Materials (2002)
Ph.D., University of Missouri-Rolla, Engineering Management (1993)
M.Sc., University of Missouri-Rolla, Engineering Management (1991)
B.Sc., Bogazici University, Mechanical Engineering (1990)
Dr. Murat Tiryakioglu grew up in a foundry business in Istanbul, Turkey. He received his B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on Metallurgy and Manufacturing Engineering from Bogazici University in 1990. He received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Engineering Management from the University of Missouri-Rolla (UMR) in 1991 and 1993, respectively. He received another Ph.D. in 2002, from the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, on Metallurgy and Materials. Dr. Tiryakioglu is also Certified as a Quality Engineer (CQE) by the American Society for Quality (ASQ). He worked at the Boeing Company, in Wichita, Kansas briefly before moving on to academic life in 1995. He taught at Western Kentucky University (WKU) where he founded the Advanced Manufacturing Institute, and later at Robert Morris University (Pittsburgh, PA) where he served as a University (Distinguished) Professor of manufacturing engineering, where he was recognized for his service-learning activities involving local manufacturers. Dr. Tiryakioglu started his current position as the Director of School of Engineering at the University of North Florida in 2010. Since joining UNF, Dr. Tiryakioglu has collaborated with Community Excellence Alliance to involve engineering students in problem solving and continuous improvement methods and their applications to help solve issues in non-profit organization in Jacksonville.
As the author or co-author of two book chapters and over 100 technical papers and reports, and the editor of ten books, Dr. Tiryakioglu’s research interests include process design for high quality castings, optimization and modeling of heat treatment of aluminum alloys, process-structure-property relationships in metals, statistical modeling and quality and reliability improvement methods. He served as a consultant to several companies including Tyco, Sumitomo, Alcoa, GM, Ford and Chrysler.
Dr. Tiryakioglu’s contributions to manufacturing engineering and metallurgy have been recognized internationally. He was awarded the inaugural John Campbell Medal from the Institute of Cast Metals Engineers in UK in 2010. Dr. Tiryakioglu was also selected a Young Leader in Light Metals by TMS (2001), and was awarded the Eugene Merchant Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer by SME (2004).
John Campbell Medal, Institute of Cast Metals Engineers (UK) 2010.
Eugene Merchant Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, Society of Manufacturing Engineers 2004.
Young Leader in Light Metals, TMS, 2001
Certificate of Achievement, American Society for Quality, 1996.
Certificate of Outstanding Performance, the Boeing Company, 1994.
Certified Quality Engineer (1993- ), American Society for Quality
Member of TMS, ASM International, American Society for Quality
Grants and Contracts Awarded
Publications & Presentations
Click here for citations.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS:
- M. Uludağ, R Çetin, D. Dispinar, M. Tiryakioğlu: "Characterization of the Effect of Melt Treatments on Melt Quality in Al-7wt %Si-Mg Alloys", Metals, 7, 157; doi:10.3390/met7050157.
- H. Özdeş, M. Tiryakioğlu, P.D. Eason: "On estimating axial high cycle fatigue behavior by rotating beam fatigue testing: Application to A356 aluminum alloy castings", Materials Science and Engineering A, 697 (2017) 95-100.
- M. Weber, P.D. Eason, H. Özdeş, M. Tiryakioğlu: “The effect of surface corrosion damage on the fatigue life of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy extrusions”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 690 (2017) 427-432.
- H. Özdeş, M. Tiryakioğlu: “On Estimating High-Cycle Fatigue Life of Cast Al-Si-Mg-(Cu) Alloys from Tensile Test Results”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 688 (2017) 9-15.
- H. Özdeş, M. Tiryakioğlu: “The Effect of Structural Quality on Fatigue Life in 319 Aluminum Alloy Castings”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 26 (2017) 736-743.
- M. Mostafaei, M. Ghobadi, G. Eisaabadi B., M. Uludaǧ, M. Tiryakioğlu: “Evaluation of the Effects of Rotary Degassing Process Variables on the Quality of A357 Aluminum Alloy Castings”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 47 (2016) 3469–3475.
- H. Özdeş, M. Tiryakioğlu: “On the Relationship between Structural Quality Index and Fatigue Life Distributions in Aluminum Aerospace Castings”, Metals, 6 (2016) 81; doi:10.3390/met6040081.
- M. Tiryakioğlu: “Weibull Analysis of Mechanical Data for Castings II: Weibull Mixtures and Their Interpretation”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46 (2015) 270-280.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, J.S. Robinson: “On the Representative Strain in Vickers Hardness Testing of 7010 Aluminum Alloy”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 641 (2015) 231-236.
- M. Tiryakioğlu: “On the Relationship Between Vickers Hardness and Yield Stress in Al-Zn-Mg-Cu alloys”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 633 (2015) 17-19.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, J.S. Robinson, M.A. Salazar-Guapuriche, Y.Y. Zhao, P.D. Eason: “Hardness-Strength Relationships in the Aluminum Alloy 7010”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 631 (2015) 196-200.
- O. Ünal, M. Tiryakioğlu: "On the Ductility Potential and Assessment of Structural Quality in Mg Alloy Castings", Materials Science and Engineering A, 643 (2015) 51-54.
- J. Robinson, M. Tiryakioğlu, P.D. Eason: "On the Quench Sensitivity of 7010 Aluminum Alloy Forgings in the Overaged Condition", Materials Science & Engineering A, 618 (2014) 22-28.
- G. Eisaabadi B., M. Tiryakioğlu, P. Davami, S.K. Kim, Y.O. Yoon, G.Y. Yeom, N.S Kim: "The Effect of Remelting on the Melt and Casting Quality in Al-7%Si-Mg Castings", Materials Science & Engineering A, 605 (2014) 203-209.
- N.D. Alexopoulos, M. Tiryakioğlu, A.N. Vasilakos, S.K. Kourkoulis: "The Effect of Cu, Ag, Sm and Sr Additions on the Statistical Distributions of Si Particles and Tensile Properties in A357-T6 Alloy Castings" Materials Science and Engineering A, 604 (2014) 40-45.
- M. Tiryakioğlu: "On the Relationship Between Elongation and Fatigue Life in A206-T71 Aluminum Castings", Materials Science & Engineering A, 601 (2014) 116-122.
- M. Tiryakioǧlu, J. Campbell: “Quality Index for Aluminum Alloy Castings”, International Journal of Metalcasting, 8 (2014) 39-42.
- G. Eisaabadi B. P.Davami, S.K.Kim, M.Tiryakioğlu: “The Effect of Melt Quality and Filtering on the Weibull Distributions of Tensile Properties in Al-7%Si-Mg Alloy Castings”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 579 (2013) 64-70.
- M. Tiryakioǧlu, P.D. Eason, J. Campbell “Fatigue life of ablation cast 6061-T6 components,” Materials Science and Engineering A, 559 (2013) 447-452.
- J. Campbell, M. Tiryakioğlu: “Bifilm Defects in Ni-Based Alloy Castings” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 43 (2012) 902-914.
- A. Goncu, A. K. Akgul, O. Imamoğlu, M. Tiryakioğlu and M. Tiryakioğlu “An analysis of the extreme returns distribution: the case of the Istanbul Stock Exchange” Applied Financial Economics, 22 (2012) 723-732.
- P.D. Eason, J.A. Fewkes, S.C. Kennett, T.J. Eden, K. Tello, M.J. Kaufman, M. Tiryakioğlu : “On the Characterization of Bulk Copper Produced by Cold Gas Dynamic Spray Processing in As Fabricated and Annealed Conditions”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (2011) 8174-8178.
- D. Hudak, M. Tiryakioğlu: “On Comparing the Shape Parameters of Two Weibull Distributions”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (2011) 8028-8030.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, J. Campbell, C. Nyahumwa: “Fracture Surface Facets and Fatigue Life Potential of Castings”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 42B (2011) 1098-1103.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, D. Hudak: “Guidelines for 2-Parameter Weibull Analysis for Flaw-Containing Materials”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 42B (2011) 1130-1135.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, J. Campbell: “Weibull Analysis of Mechanical Data for Castings: A Guide to the Interpretation of Probability Plots”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 41A (2010) 3121-3129.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, R.T. Shuey: “Quench Sensitivity of 2219-T87”, Materials Science and Engineering A, v. 527, pp. 5033–5037, 2010.
- M. Tiryakioğlu: “On Estimating the Fracture Stress and Elongation of Al-7%Si-0.3%Mg Alloy Castings with Single Pores”, Materials Science and Engineering A, v. 527, pp. 4546–4549, 2010.
- M. Tiryakioğlu, R.T. Shuey: “Modeling Quench Sensitivity of Aluminum Alloys for Multiple Tempers and Properties: Application to AA2024”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, v. 41A, pp. 2984-2991, 2010.
- M. Tiryakioğlu: “On Fatigue Life Variability in Cast Al-10%Si-Mg Alloys”, Materials Science and Engineering A, v. 527, pp. 1560–1564, 2010.
- J. Campbell, M. Tiryakioğlu: “Review of the Effect of P and Sr on Modification and Porosity Development in Al-Si Alloys”, Materials Science and Technology, v. 26, pp. 262-268, 2010.