Areas of Expertise
Aluminum Alloy Metallurgy
Mechanical Behavior of Metals and Alloys
Statistics of Materials
Quality Assessment and Improvement
Problem Identification, Solution Development and Continuous Improvement
Ph.D., University of Birmingham (UK), Metallurgy and Materials (2002)
Ph.D., University of Missouri-Rolla, Engineering Management (1993)
M.Sc., University of Missouri-Rolla, Engineering Management (1991)
B.Sc., Bogazici University, Mechanical Engineering (1990)
Dr. Murat Tiryakioglu grew up in a foundry business in Istanbul, Turkey. He received his B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on Metallurgy and Manufacturing Engineering from Bogazici University in 1990. He received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Engineering Management from the University of Missouri-Rolla (UMR) in 1991 and 1993, respectively. He received another Ph.D. in 2002, from the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, on Metallurgy and Materials. Dr. Tiryakioglu is also Certified as a Quality Engineer (CQE) by the American Society for Quality (ASQ). He worked at the Boeing Company, in Wichita, Kansas briefly before moving on to academic life in 1995. He taught at Western Kentucky University (WKU) where he founded the Advanced Manufacturing Institute, and later at Robert Morris University (Pittsburgh, PA) where he served as a University (Distinguished) Professor of manufacturing engineering, where he was recognized for his service-learning activities involving local manufacturers. Dr. Tiryakioglu started his current position as the Director of School of Engineering at the University of North Florida in 2010. Since joining UNF, Dr. Tiryakioglu has collaborated with Community Excellence Alliance to involve engineering students in problem solving and continuous improvement methods and their applications to help solve issues in non-profit organization in Jacksonville.
As the author or co-author of two book chapters and over 100 technical papers and reports, and the editor of ten books, Dr. Tiryakioglu’s research interests include process design for high quality castings, optimization and modeling of heat treatment of aluminum alloys, process-structure-property relationships in metals, statistical modeling and quality and reliability improvement methods. He served as a consultant to several companies including Tyco, Sumitomo, Alcoa, GM, Ford and Chrysler.
Dr. Tiryakioglu’s contributions to manufacturing engineering and metallurgy have been recognized internationally. He was awarded the inaugural John Campbell Medal from the Institute of Cast Metals Engineers in UK in 2010. Dr. Tiryakioglu was also selected a Young Leader in Light Metals by TMS (2001), and was awarded the Eugene Merchant Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer by SME (2004).
John Campbell Medal, Institute of Cast Metals Engineers (UK) 2010.
Eugene Merchant Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, Society of Manufacturing Engineers 2004.
Young Leader in Light Metals, TMS, 2001
Certificate of Achievement, American Society for Quality, 1996.
Certificate of Outstanding Performance, the Boeing Company, 1994.
Certified Quality Engineer (1993- ), American Society for Quality
Member of TMS, ASM International, American Society for Quality
Grants and Contracts Awarded
Y. M. Ertekin, M. Tiryakioglu: “Effect of Aging Conditions and Alloy Content on the Machinability of Al-Si-Mg Alloys”, KY/NSF EPSCoR, 2000, $12,000.
M. Tiryakioglu, W.-P. Pan, H.T. Leeper. "Optimization of Heat Treatment of Al-Si-Mg Alloys", KY/DOE EPSCoR, 1999, $43,500.
M. Tiryakioglu: “Quench Sensitivity of Cast Aluminum Alloys”, KY/NSF EPSCoR, 1999, $12,000.
M. Tiryakioglu: “Program of Distinction: Advanced Manufacturing Institute”, Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1999, $75,000.
M. Tiryakioglu: “Optimization of Heat Treatment for Cast Aluminum Alloys”, KY/NSF EPSCoR, 1998, $15,000.
M. Tiryakioglu: “Donation from Stratasys Inc. for the purchase of a FDM 2000 Rapid Prototyping System”, 1998, $85,000.
M. Tiryakioglu, H.T. Leeper, A. Shindhelm: “Establishment of a Cross-Departmental Workstation Laboratory and a “the Factory of the Future” National Science Foundation, 1997, $280,000.
M. Tiryakioglu: “Minimizing Quench Distortion in Aluminum Parts” KY/NSF EPSCoR, 1996, $15,000.
Publications & Presentations
Click here for citations.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS:
- M. UludaÄŸ, R Ã‡etin, D. Dispinar, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: "Characterization of the Effect of Melt Treatments on Melt Quality in Al-7wt %Si-Mg Alloys", Metals, 7, 157; doi:10.3390/met7050157.
- H. Ã–zdeÅŸ, M. TiryakioÄŸlu, P.D. Eason: "On estimating axial high cycle fatigue behavior by rotating beam fatigue testing: Application to A356 aluminum alloy castings", Materials Science and Engineering A, 697 (2017) 95-100.
- M. Weber, P.D. Eason, H. Ã–zdeÅŸ, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œThe effect of surface corrosion damage on the fatigue life of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy extrusionsâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 690 (2017) 427-432.
- H. Ã–zdeÅŸ, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œOn Estimating High-Cycle Fatigue Life of Cast Al-Si-Mg-(Cu) Alloys from Tensile Test Resultsâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 688 (2017) 9-15.
- H. Ã–zdeÅŸ, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œThe Effect of Structural Quality on Fatigue Life in 319 Aluminum Alloy Castingsâ€, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 26 (2017) 736-743.
- M. Mostafaei, M. Ghobadi, G. Eisaabadi B., M. UludaÇ§, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œEvaluation of the Effects of Rotary Degassing Process Variables on the Quality of A357 Aluminum Alloy Castingsâ€, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 47 (2016) 3469â€“3475.
- H. Ã–zdeÅŸ, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œOn the Relationship between Structural Quality Index and Fatigue Life Distributions in Aluminum Aerospace Castingsâ€, Metals, 6 (2016) 81; doi:10.3390/met6040081.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œWeibull Analysis of Mechanical Data for Castings II: Weibull Mixtures and Their Interpretationâ€, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46 (2015) 270-280.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, J.S. Robinson: â€œOn the Representative Strain in Vickers Hardness Testing of 7010 Aluminum Alloyâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 641 (2015) 231-236.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œOn the Relationship Between Vickers Hardness and Yield Stress in Al-Zn-Mg-Cu alloysâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 633 (2015) 17-19.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, J.S. Robinson, M.A. Salazar-Guapuriche, Y.Y. Zhao, P.D. Eason: â€œHardness-Strength Relationships in the Aluminum Alloy 7010â€, Materials Science & Engineering A, 631 (2015) 196-200.
- O. Ãœnal, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: "On the Ductility Potential and Assessment of Structural Quality in Mg Alloy Castings", Materials Science and Engineering A, 643 (2015) 51-54.
- J. Robinson, M. TiryakioÄŸlu, P.D. Eason: "On the Quench Sensitivity of 7010 Aluminum Alloy Forgings in the Overaged Condition", Materials Science & Engineering A, 618 (2014) 22-28.
- G. Eisaabadi B., M. TiryakioÄŸlu, P. Davami, S.K. Kim, Y.O. Yoon, G.Y. Yeom, N.S Kim: "The Effect of Remelting on the Melt and Casting Quality in Al-7%Si-Mg Castings", Materials Science & Engineering A, 605 (2014) 203-209.
- N.D. Alexopoulos, M. TiryakioÄŸlu, A.N. Vasilakos, S.K. Kourkoulis: "The Effect of Cu, Ag, Sm and Sr Additions on the Statistical Distributions of Si Particles and Tensile Properties in A357-T6 Alloy Castings" Materials Science and Engineering A, 604 (2014) 40-45.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu: "On the Relationship Between Elongation and Fatigue Life in A206-T71 Aluminum Castings", Materials Science & Engineering A, 601 (2014) 116-122.
- M. TiryakioÇ§lu, J. Campbell: â€œQuality Index for Aluminum Alloy Castingsâ€, International Journal of Metalcasting, 8 (2014) 39-42.
- G. Eisaabadi B. P.Davami, S.K.Kim, M.TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œThe Effect of Melt Quality and Filtering on the Weibull Distributions of Tensile Properties in Al-7%Si-Mg Alloy Castingsâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 579 (2013) 64-70.
- M. TiryakioÇ§lu, P.D. Eason, J. Campbell â€œFatigue life of ablation cast 6061-T6 components,â€ Materials Science and Engineering A, 559 (2013) 447-452.
- J. Campbell, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œBifilm Defects in Ni-Based Alloy Castingsâ€ Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 43 (2012) 902-914.
- A. Goncu, A. K. Akgul, O. ImamoÄŸlu, M. TiryakioÄŸlu and M. TiryakioÄŸlu â€œAn analysis of the extreme returns distribution: the case of the Istanbul Stock Exchangeâ€ Applied Financial Economics, 22 (2012) 723-732.
- P.D. Eason, J.A. Fewkes, S.C. Kennett, T.J. Eden, K. Tello, M.J. Kaufman, M. TiryakioÄŸlu : â€œOn the Characterization of Bulk Copper Produced by Cold Gas Dynamic Spray Processing in As Fabricated and Annealed Conditionsâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (2011) 8174-8178.
- D. Hudak, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œOn Comparing the Shape Parameters of Two Weibull Distributionsâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (2011) 8028-8030.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, J. Campbell, C. Nyahumwa: â€œFracture Surface Facets and Fatigue Life Potential of Castingsâ€, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 42B (2011) 1098-1103.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, D. Hudak: â€œGuidelines for 2-Parameter Weibull Analysis for Flaw-Containing Materialsâ€, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 42B (2011) 1130-1135.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, J. Campbell: â€œWeibull Analysis of Mechanical Data for Castings: A Guide to the Interpretation of Probability Plotsâ€, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 41A (2010) 3121-3129.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, R.T. Shuey: â€œQuench Sensitivity of 2219-T87â€, Materials Science and Engineering A, v. 527, pp. 5033â€“5037, 2010.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œOn Estimating the Fracture Stress and Elongation of Al-7%Si-0.3%Mg Alloy Castings with Single Poresâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, v. 527, pp. 4546â€“4549, 2010.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu, R.T. Shuey: â€œModeling Quench Sensitivity of Aluminum Alloys for Multiple Tempers and Properties: Application to AA2024â€, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, v. 41A, pp. 2984-2991, 2010.
- M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œOn Fatigue Life Variability in Cast Al-10%Si-Mg Alloysâ€, Materials Science and Engineering A, v. 527, pp. 1560â€“1564, 2010.
- J. Campbell, M. TiryakioÄŸlu: â€œReview of the Effect of P and Sr on Modification and Porosity Development in Al-Si Alloysâ€, Materials Science and Technology, v. 26, pp. 262-268, 2010.