Areas of Expertise
DIRECTOR, PUBLIC POLICY / HEALTH CARE
Public Policy Analysis – Legislative Analysis - Consensus Building – Strategic Business Integration – Relationship Management
Seasoned public policy professional with over ten years experience identifying, analyzing and prioritizing public policy issues. Experience building consensus among senior-level executives to align strategic thinking with corporate goals and objectives. Demonstrated ability to successfully resolve sensitive situations among several stakeholders and engage consumers and business partners throughout the value chain. Additional capabilities and expertise in:
• Health Care Policy • Strategic Planning • Conflict Resolution
• Prescription Drugs • Organizational Planning • Public Speaking
• Health Information Technology • Negotiation • Relationship Management
Harvard University, School of Public Health
Master of Public Health (Concentration in Law and Public Health)
The University of Chicago, The Law School
Juris Doctor Degree
Claremont McKenna College
Bachelor of Arts Degree, Government & Economics/Accounting
BlueCross BlueShield of Florida Jacksonville, FL
Director, Health Care Policy June 2010 – Present
Public Policy & Education Research Consultant June 2008-June 2010
Senior Policy Analyst January 2004-June 2008
• Identify and analyze public policy issues and build senior-level executive consensus. Work product enables execution of public policy and legislative strategy, informs creation of corporate strategy, and drives corporate influencing agenda and corporate messaging regarding public policy issues. Maintain relationships with and influence other stakeholders within the health care system (e.g. consumers, agents, providers, trade associations and employers) through public speaking and education. Created process for identifying, prioritizing and validating public policy positions. Partnered with senior-level executives to inform over 2,000 employees about corporate direction regarding health care reform. Created several tools and processes used to convey information to the board of directors. Created tools to track relevancy of public policy positions and to map to corporate mission, vision and strategy. Managed approximately $2 million in grants regarding childhood obesity initiative. Research has led to influencing of legislative activity. Results include:
• $150 million in savings regarding prescription drug legislative issue.
• $5 million in savings regarding other party liability legislative issue.
• Other accomplishments include a 95% to 100% success rate regarding efforts to inform and educate over 2,000 employees regarding a variety of issues.
University of North Florida, Brooks College of Health
Adjunct Professor August 2008 – Present
• Classes taught include Introduction to Health Policy and Health Care Law and Ethics.
Community Catalyst Boston, MA
Community Health Assets Project Staff Attorney January 2003 – January 2004
Community Health Assets Project Fellow January 2002 – January 2003
• Built consensus among local consumer advocates in several jurisdictions throughout the United States.
• Successfully influenced state officials regarding the restructuring of health care entities. Results included:
• Health care foundation funding in excess of $35 million and guarantee of essential services in hospital bankruptcy.
Cogent Research, LLC Cambridge, MA
Project Director November 2000 – August 2001
• Wrote both quantitative and qualitative reports.
• Served as primary contact for clients through all project phases.
• Industries of concentration included health care, legal services and financial services.
Abt Associates Inc. Cambridge, MA
Senior Analyst June 1998 – November 2000
• Conducted research on laws and ethics regarding clinical trials.
• Co-authored an analytical report on best practices of prison privatization which drove implementation of the first federal private prison.
BlueCross BlueShield of Florida Jacksonville, FL
• Public Affairs Group Most Valuable Partner Winter 2006
• Public Affairs Group Innovator Award Winter 2008
• Member, Massachusetts Bar.
• AHIP Fellow, Minority Management Development Program June 2006 – June 2007
The Non Profit Center of Northeast Florida Jacksonville, FL
Board Member January 2010 – December 2010
Board Member and Membership Committee Chair January 2011 – December 2011
Board Member, Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair January 2012 – Present
Character Counts in Jacksonville Jacksonville, FL
Secretary September 2007 – March 2009
Board Member March 2007- March 2009
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Florida Jacksonville, FL
Mentor, Bigs in School September 2004 – May 2009
Publications & Presentations
• Patten CW, Kammer RM. Better communication with minority patients: seven strategies for achieving cultural competency. Commun Oncol 2006; 3:295-298, 302.
• McDonald D, Patten C. Governments’ Management of Private Prisons. National Institute of Justice September 2003. NCJ 203968.
SELECTED EXTERNAL PRESENTATIONS
• The Blue Foundation for a Healthy Florida: Efforts to Address Health Disparities Among Women and Children. Third Annual Health Plan Leadership Roundtable, National Institute for Healthcare Management Foundation; Webinar, March 19, 2009.
• Improving Health Care Delivery Systems via Community Partnerships. Presented to the Florida Department of Health; Tampa, Florida, August 11, 2008.
• Electronic Health Records: Primer and Snapshot of Potential Benefits and Challenges. Presented to the American Association of Preferred Provider Organizations; San Diego, California. January 30, 2007.
• Cultural Competence and Health Disparities. Presented to the National Black Caucus of State Legislators and the National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators; Coral Gables, Florida. September 15, 2006.