Areas of Expertise
• Structural Rehabilitation and Strengthening,
• FRP applications and assessment,
• Bridge Engineering,
• Durability of Concrete.
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1994
M.S. Structural Engineering, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, 1988
B.S. Civil Engineering, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, 1984
Dr. Adel ElSafty, PE, P.Eng is a Professor at the University of North Florida (UNF). He is teaching the structures courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels. He also taught in the Civil Engineering department at “UCF” and “FSU-PC” where he was afounding faculty member for the new civil engineering program at Florida State University-Panama City Campus (FSU-PC). He secured ~$1.3 million in research funds and published numerous number of journal and conference papers with students and research partners from 7 different schools.
He holds P.E. registration/license in Florida and in Ontario, Canada. He has thirty years of experience in the Professional Practice of Civil Engineering. Dr. ElSafty worked in the industry at a Bridge Design firm “Lochner” in Orlando and as a Specification Manager at a British Construction Chemical Company. He is an OSHA Authorized Construction Trainer for 10 and 30 hours construction courses. He is also an ABET Program Evaluator (PEV).
2. International Scholarship and Paper Award: International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials (IJCSM) award for journal publication (March 2013).
3. National Teaching & Research Award: PCI-Foundation Award, Precast/Prestressed Concrete (PCI) Engineering Professor Design Studio, $125,000 (Fall 2009-2014).
4. National Team Advisor Award: Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Award (2009 & 2010) - Advisor - National Champion of Big Beam Engineering Design Competition, 1st place regionally & 4th place nationally in 2012, and 2nd place regionally in 2010.
5. National Team Advisor Award: Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Award (2013) - Advisor - National Champion of Big Beam Engineering Design Competition, 1st and 2nd place in Southeast region and 6th place nationally.
6. Leadership award: Outstanding International Leadership Award (2013) - UNF.
7. Scholarship Award: Outstanding Faculty Scholarship Awards (2013) - UNF.
8. Teaching Award: Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards (2010) - UNF.
9. Service Award: UNF Disability Resource Center Professor Empowerment Award (2012).
10. FPCA (Florida Prestressed Concrete Association) Education Foundation Award: Big beam 2012 award (1st place Southeast region) $1,000.
11. FPCA (Florida Prestressed Concrete Association) Education Foundation Award: Big beam 2010 award (2nd place Southeast region) $1,000.
12. University “Researcher of the Month” - 2012, UNF.
13. UNF Awards (2009-2013): 5 awards to establish teaching exchange programs for students with Universities in Japan, Istanbul, Cairo, Morocco, and Italy. Several international professors were invited to give presentations to UNF students on (Italian historic preservation, American University in Cairo’s teaching and research collaboration, Japan’s experience with prestressing and FRP).
14. Train-the-Trainer Instructor: Selected by the Florida Engineering Society (FES) to offer PE Review Train-the-Trainer Sessions for engineers. I offered the review sessions twice/year in (2006-2008).