Areas of Expertise
Weight management, healthy whole-food cooking, vegetarian nutrition, recipe modification, and nutritional needs in developmental disabilities
• Master of Science in Food and Nutrition, Florida State University
• Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics, Florida State University
• Associate of Arts in Dietetics, Palm Beach Junior College
• Certificate of Completion, Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice, The Institute for Functional Medicine
Prior to coming to UNF in 2003, Jackie owned a consulting firm where she worked as a clinical nutritionist for individual clients and medical groups with a focus on weight loss, diabetes management, and developmental disabilities. Personal interests include recipe modification, healthy cooking, writing for consumers, and studying the traditional healing paradigms of other cultures.
Jackie is currently the undergraduate director of the nutrition program, which includes an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics. She has a passion for translating evidence-based nutrition science into health-enhancing information for consumers. She teaches nutrition and health majors in these courses:
FSS1202 Food Fundamentals: students acquire knowledge about food, culinary techniques, food sustainability, and an ethic cuisine.
FSS1202L Food Fundamentals Laboratory: students apply their knowledge by preparing recipes such as whole grain zucchini bread, whole wheat pita bread with tabbouleh, hummus, and spicy black bean dip, glazed salmon, chicken piccata, and oven roasted vegetables. They learn how to plan and implement a professional cooking demonstration.
FOS4041 Food Science/Composition: the composition of food and the chemical and physical changes that occur when food is cooked are studied, as well as current food technology topics such as functional food ingredients and environmental issues.
FOS4041L Food Science/Composition Laboratory: students study sensory testing, sugar solutions, dimensions of baking, eggs, poultry, legumes and plant protein, and vegetables/vegetable juicing. Using the scientific method, students plan and conduct food experiments.
DIE4515 Nutrition and Dietetics Professional Capstone: senior nutrition students learn about professional issues, practice areas, the internship application process, employment opportunities, and ethics. They sharpen their skills in assertiveness and interviewing, and create an e-portfolio.
HUN 2201 Basic Principles of Human Nutrition: students learn the functions of the essential nutrients and how they are processed in the body, how nutrition relates to weight control and optimal health, and how healthy, prudent food choices can reduce the risk for chronic disease.
HSC4572 Nutrition and Health: health majors learn the function of nutrients and how they are processed in the body and they study the impact of nutrition on prevention and treatment of chronic disease.
FSS4230L Field Experience in Quantity Food Preparation: via field experience at facilities, senior nutrition students apply quantity food prep principles such as food production, kitchen design, product flow, menus, and service to real world situations.
2012 Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
• Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
• The Florida Dietetic Association
• Membership Chair, Jacksonville Dietetic Association
• Institute for Functional Medicine
• Chair, Dietetic and Nutrition Practice Council, Department of Health
• American Herbalists Guild
• Dietitians in Functional Medicine Dietetic Practice Group
• Dietetic Educators of Practitioners Dietetic Practice Group
• Florida Native Plant Society
• UNF Brooks College of Health Scholarship Committee
• Vice Chair, UNF Food Service Advisory Council
Publications & Presentations
Shank, J., Dorsey, J., Anderson, K., Cooper, W., and Acosta, P. (1992). Plasma vitamin E concentrations of older infants fed cow's milk or infant formula. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 15:375-381.
Shank, J.S., Dorsey, J.L., Cooper, W.T., and Acosta, P.B. (1987). The vitamin E status of infants receiving cow's milk or milk-based formula. Federation Proceedings, 46(4):1194.
Consumer Education: Publications and Media Work
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, “Southern Diet and Stroke Risk”, February 27, 2013.
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, “Healing Food Remedies”, October 10, 2012.
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, “Sugary Drinks”, July11, 2012.
• Presentation, “Summertime Weight Loss Tips”, St. Johns County Wellness Council Brown Bag Lunch, June 27, 2012.
• Action News (FOX 30/CBS 47) Interview, “Outdoor Food Safety”, June 20, 2012.
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, “Healthier Picnic Food”, May 21, 2012.
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, "Trendy Foods", April 11, 2012.
• Action News (FOX 30/CBS 47) Interview, "Benefits of Chocolate", February 8, 2012.
• Action News (FOX 30/CBS 47) Interview, "Summertime Weight Loss Tips", May 25, 2011.
• Florida Times-Union Newspaper, “The Goods” Article: Black Beans, July, 2011.
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, "Sugar and Your Health", October 26, 2011.
• Florida Times-Union Newspaper, “The Goods” Article: Oats, December, 2011.
• First Coast News WJXX/WTLV TV, First Coast Living Interview, “Reduced Calorie Alcoholic Drinks”, April 15, 2011.
• Flagler College Radio, WFCF 88.5 FM, “Intuitive Eating and Weight Loss”, January 2011.
• Florida Times-Union Newspaper, “The Goods” Article: Popular, versatile tomatoes pack a nutritional punch, August 2010.
• Florida Times-Union Newspaper, “The Goods” Article: We take the fear out of using fresh garlic (Relax, Dracula) September 2010.
• Florida Times-Union Newspaper, “The Goods” Article: Quinoa, the tiny grain that packs a nutritional punch, December 2010.
• Radio Interview, “Healthy Fats,” A.M. 1460 The Intelligent News & Talk Radio Show with Ed Banker, February 17, 2009.
• Radio Interview, “Weight Loss Tips for 2009,” A.M. 1460 The Intelligent News & Talk Radio Show with Ed Banker, December 16, 2009.
• Radio Interview, “Do Seniors Need Supplements?” A.M. 1460 The Intelligent News & Talk Radio Show with Ed Banker, July 19, 2008.
• Radio Interview, "10 Superfoods," A.M. 1460 The Intelligent News & Talk Radio Show with Ed Banker, July 15, 2008.
• Radio Interview, "Healthy Gifts for Mom," A.M. 1460 The Intelligent News & Talk Radio Show with Ed Banker, May 7, 2008.
• Presentation, "A Whole Health Diet," the Dana B. Kenyon Company, Jacksonville, September 5, 2007.
• Presentation, "Foods That Fuel Fitness," Department of Residence Life, UNF, November 8, 2007.
• "Menu Labeling Regulations Take Effect" The Tampa Tribune; The Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, Mississippi); and the San Antonio Express News, May, 1997.
• "Putting School Lunch on a Healthy Diet" The Salt Lake Tribune and the San Antonio Express News, September, 1997.
• "Refreshing Summertime Smoothies" The Salt Lake Tribune, July, 1998.
• "Make Brown Bag Lunches Safe and Healthy" North Florida Parent-Child Advisor, 1998.
• "How Much Protein?" New Body Magazine, August, 1994.
• "Labelous Intent" Men's Fitness Magazine, September, 1994.
• "Tracking the Silent Killer: High Blood Pressure" and "Fat or Calories? The Facts About Losing Weight" Living Well Today, 1994.
• Monthly Nutrition Column "Ask the Nutritionist" The Senior Floridian, 1993.
• Monthly Nutrition Column "Ask the R.D." Golden Times of Florida, 1992-1993.
• "Nutrition Care for the Cancer Patient" and "Nutrition Support in Renal Disease" Dietary Manager Magazine, 1992, 1993.
• "Practical Feeding Tips for Developmentally Disabled Clients" Insights into Habilitation, March, 1992.
• "Supermarket Survival: Grocery Shopping Guidelines for a Lifetime of Sensible Eating" Living Well In Florida, Florida Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, 1989.