Friday, November 30, 2012, 3:00 - 5:00 pm
UNF University Center
About the Event
The School of Computing Student Symposium was held on Friday, November 30, 2012 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM in the UNF University Center. The symposium was attended by over 170 people, including UNF students, Faculty & Staff, and local community members. About 95 students participated as presenters.
The symposium featured current undergraduate and graduate students involved in course projects, thesis projects, and other types of research projects. Students shared their work via poster presentations. This event provided opportunity to have one-on-one interaction with our students and feedback on their work.
The event was free and open to the public. Light refreshments were served.
If you attended, please provide us feedback by completing below survey:
Special thanks to corporate sponsors for supporting our students in this event. This symposium is supported by annual contributions by members of the School of Computing Advisory Board. For this semester’s symposium, we would like to acknowledge the contributions from Trent Gavazzi from Availity Inc ($1,000), Jim Simak from Harris Computer ($1,000), and Sam Perone from Merrill Lynch Inc. ($1,000).
During the event, attendees were provided with five smiley face stickers with instructions to place one sticker per poster. Winners of the symposium were decided based on the number of stickers received. Winners were recognized with cash prizes and certification awards. Ren Mohan, CO-Chairman & CTO of uReveal, Dharma Acharya, Assistant Vice President – Operations Research at CSX Transportation, and Dr. Mark Tumeo, CCEC Dean presented cash prizes and award certificate to winners of the symposium.
First Place Winner (Prize - $200)
Poster Title: Volunteer Management System for Sulzbacher Center
Presenters: Raymond Mcdermott, Zachary McKee, Cuong Vo, and Geoffrey Wark
Second Place Winner (Prize - $150)
Poster Title: Osprey Flight Path
Presenters: Erick Douglas, Nihar Goswami, and Marc Mazour
Third Place Winner (Prize - $100)
Poster Title: Course Queue
Presenters: Christopher Cunanan, Timothy Daniel, and William Hackney
Honorable Mention Winners
Seven posters were recognized with honorable mention award for best-in-class poster presentation. Honorable mention winners received $50 cash prize and award certificate. See below of list of honorable mention award winners:
- Poster Title: Recruitment and Training Mentors website for JREC
- Presenters: Cassedy Conant, David King, Carly Pellegrini, and Robert Roggio
- Poster Title: PetGo: transporting pets
- Presenters: Ralph Arevalo, Robert Collier, Joshua Dickison, and Eric Wai
- Poster Title: iOS: Efrain's Fables "Why Do Wolves Howl" / Android: AndroidGap
- Presenters: Efrain Diaz, Jonathan Huber, and Devin Sharp
- Poster Title: Min/Max Checkers
- Presenters: Miguel Molina Jr, Joshua Yount, and Thomas Furman
- Poster Title: Parallization of Genetic Programming
- Presenters: Jared Wheeler
- Poster Title: Development of a Web Map Application: Fort Caroline Trail
- Presenters: Lisa Lamontagne, Lisa Rowan, Thomas Bartlett, Samantha Nekolny, Christopher Cunanan, Erick Douglas, Ashley Walker, and Donald Smith
- Poster Title: Security Issues in Mobile Social Networks (MSN)
- Presenters: Sumona Balla
- *All symposium student presenters received a participation certificate.
Past Student Symposiums
Spring 2012 SoC Student Symposium
Fall 2011 SoC Student Symposium