July 12, 2012

Digging up centuries of artifacts on Black Hammock

UNF faculty, staff, students and volunteers took part in the excavation of a large building from the Spanish Mission and Mocama-speaking Timucua Indian village of San Buenaventura de Guadalquini, which was occupied between 1684 and 1696. The dig was at Cedar Point on Black Hammock Island and is a project of UNF's 2012 Public Archaeological Field School.