The ELLM/Plus Professional Development Plan includes an array of complementary training opportunities for teachers, assistants, and directors/site-based administrators.
A three-day (six hours each day) ELLM/Plus intensive training, designed to help participants with the ELLM/Plus instructional tools, protocols, and strategies needed for effective implementation, will help participants connect research findings to instructional strategies, link training activities to daily planning and practice, and ultimately create a culture of learning for themselves and their children. Through hands-on, interactive activities, participants will learn how to use key language and literacy strategies that, if used everyday throughout the day, will help children acquire important literacy and language skills. Participants will have many opportunities to observe model lessons, practice using instructional strategies, and receive feedback on their performance.
- Explicit Literacy Instruction (Reading Aloud, Phonological Awareness, Letter/Sound Knowledge, Print Concepts, Emergent Writing)
- ELLM/Plus Instructional Routine (Whole Group Instruction, Transitions, Small Group Teaching Table, Center Time)
- Building Background Knowledge and Vocabulary (Modeling Complex Language, Instructional and Social Conversations, Use of Word Wall)
- Setting Up and Using Learning Centers
- Implementing Explicit Content Domain
Initial Professional Development for Directors/Site-based Administrators
Site-based administrators will participate with their teachers and assistants in the initial and intensive three-day intensive ELLM/Plus training. Specific sessions for directors only will focus on increasing their capacity to support teachers as they build instructional proficiency. Directors will participate in a specially designed fourth day of training focused on building on their capacity to use tools to monitor and strengthen curriculum implementation, lead on-site implementation team meetings, and mentor teachers on an ongoing basis.