Referring a Student to Conduct: Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I file a report of an incident?
    If you report the incident to University Police Department (UPD), it will be automatically referred to the Student Conduct office for review. If you wish to report the incident directly to Student Conduct, prepare the information in writing using the Conduct Referral Form and send it via e-mail to You can also fax it to (904) 620-3922 or send it via campus mail. If you need to include more students for your incident, please include the Supplemental Referral Page.
  • What information should I include in a referral?
    Submit a written summary of the incident and include your name, the full name of the student who is allegedly involved, their student identification number and any pertinent witnesses to the incident (if necessary). Also include the date, time and location along with specific details of the event, including direct observations and quotes. The Conduct Referral Form will help guide you as you create your incident.
  • What happens after the referral is submitted?
    Student Conduct will review the referral to decide whether or not Student Conduct Code violations are involved. If so, the student will be sent a Student Conduct charge letter addressing the Student Conduct code violations and will be notified on how to proceed. Student Conduct might also contact the individual who reported the incident to ask questions about the incident and clarify information. The Student Conduct process is outlined in the Student Code of Conduct in the Student Handbook
  • What will I be requested to do if the student is charged with violating the Student Conduct Code?
    You would be requested to attend a Student Conduct Hearing as a witness to provide information and answer questions. Both the Hearing body and the charged student have the opportunity to ask witnesses questions during the Hearing. The Hearing format will either be handled administratively (with one Hearing Administrator facilitating the Student Conduct Hearing) or through a Student Conduct Panel (with 2 Student Panel members and 2 faculty and/or staff Panel members facilitating the Student Conduct Hearing). In the event that the referring person is listed as a victim on the report for violations of endangerment, harassment, or sexual misconduct, the victim would have “Victim Rights” under the process. 
  • What if I have a question about an incident and am not sure if I will officially report it?
    Contact Student Conduct at (904) 620-3979 to speak with a conduct adminstrator.
  • What does FERPA mean if I am an University employee?
    As a University employee, you have an obligation and a responsibility to protect our students and the privacy of their information. Even if you have a "legitimate educational interest" to access a student's records, you are not authorized to share that information with a third party without the student's written permission.
  • How do I find out what happens to the accused student after she/he is referred to Student Conduct?

    Student Conduct cannot provide information unless the student grants authorization, or unless the information is provided to a victim of endangerment, harassment, or sexual misconduct. There may also be instances when a staff or faculty member is in a “need to know” position and the information can be conveyed (for instance, if a student is not permitted in a specific building as a result of the sanction for a violation). All Student Conduct matters are considered to be educational records and are protected under FERPA. 


    Visit One Stop's FERPA page for more information.

  • Does the Code apply when students are not on campus?

    The University reserves the right to impose discipline based on any student's conduct, regardless of location, that may adversely affect the University community. The processes for adjudicating violations of State and Federal law and of the Student Conduct Code are separate and may be pursued independently of one another.