Florida/West Africa Linkage Institute Waiver
The Florida/West Africa Institute (FLAWI) was created by an act of the State Legislature in 1991 to promote academic, cultural, and economic exchanges between the state of Florida and the region of West Africa. It is one of eleven such institutes which are administered at affiliate universities and colleges throughout the state. FLAWI is based at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville. Affiliate colleges include Florida A&M University in Tallahassee and Florida State College at Jacksonville.
Out-of-State Tuition Exemption Guidelines
- Institute tuition exemptions are available only to students from the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde Islands, Cote D'Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo. If you are not a citizen of one of these sixteen countries, FLAWI does not apply to you.
- Exemptions may be awarded for graduate and undergraduate degree programs.
- Applications will be considered from students already enrolled in Florida public institutions of higher education as well as from students who have been admitted to a Florida public institution of higher education.
- Institute-sponsored students must comply with all Immigration requirements, including minimum credit-hour enrollment.
- Selections will be made primarily on the academic merit of students in relation to the Institute's program priorities. Please write a one page essay and tell why you should receive this waiver. Attach to application.
- Exemptions generally will be granted for two semesters, normally the fall and spring semesters (August through April). In the unlikely event that funds remain at the end of the spring term, summer term exemptions may be considered.
- Exemptions will be granted for up to twelve (12) semester hours of undergraduate study or up to nine (9) semester hours of graduate study per semester, as appropriate.
- Exemptions are for one academic year and will be reviewed annually for continuation. According to Florida Statute, students shall return home within three years after their tenure of graduate or undergraduate study for a length of time equal to their exemption period.
- Exemptions will not be granted to students who are already receiving scholarships or funding from other sources.
- Students awarded exemptions are required to perform 50 hours of community service per year or 25 hours of community service per semester or term. Evidence of completion must be submitted to the respective co-directors at the end of each term.
- To maintain a tuition exemption, students must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Students' whose GPAs fall below 3.0 will not receive subsequent tuition exemption until the 3.0 GPA is reached.
- The maximum duration of out-of-state tuition waivers will be four (4) years for undergraduate students and two (2) years for graduate students.
- Once completed applications are received, students are place on a waiting list. FLAWI coordinator will inform students of their position on the waitlist.
Out-of-state Tuition Waiver Checklist:
Be sure to include the following items in your application packet.
- The completed application form.
- Transcripts from all prior higher education institutions that you have attended.
- Proof of acceptance or enrollment at a public Florida university or community college. (If you are a new student, a letter from the Director of Admissions will provide proof of acceptance. If you are currently enrolled, proof of registration will be needed.)
- A one page essay telling us why you should receive a waiver.
- Copy of your I-20 as well as your passport information proving that you are a citizen of one of the 16 listed countries above.
Please mail, fax or e-mail your application packet to ONE of the following institutions:
NOTE: FLAWI applications to UNF are currently closed. Please submit your application to either FSCJ or FAMU.
Mrs. Adianez Garcia Campos
International Center (Building 58E, Room 2300)
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Phone (904) 620-2657
Fax (904) 620-3925
NOTE: FLAWI applications to UNF are currently closed.
Ms. Julia C. Velezon
Florida State College at Jacksonville
101 W. State St.
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone (904) 632-3248
Mrs. Avis Simmonds
Office of International Education and Development
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
305 North Perry-Paige
Tallahassee, FL 32307
Phone (850) 599-3295
Fax (850) 561-2520