Tax Information for International Students and Scholars

The staff of the International Center are not experts on international tax matters. The international staff does not assist in the completion of individual income tax forms, and is unable to explain tax liability issues to international students, scholars or staff. Therefore, we recommend that you consult the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax consultant regarding your possible U.S. tax obligations. The following information is provided to help foreign students and scholar obtain the information they need so that they can make informed choices about their tax obligations. The IRS publishes a number of helpful information/instruction booklets, which are available through the IRS Tax Payer Assistance Service (toll free call 1-800-829-3676).


The IRS has forms and information for filing tax returns.