The Pre-Med LLC Program is designed to assist UNF students in establishing a support network within the university and the community in order to improve student success in and out of the classroom, while simultaneously developing competitive candidates for admission to professional schools in the medical field.
2. Program Goals
- Develop academic skills that will foster continued student success
- Facilitate networking skills between students and professionals in the medical profession
- Provide a support network to improve successful transition to UNF
- Improve student academic success and social wellness
- Inform students of the level of academic rigor required for a career in the medical fields
- Provide support and guidance for success on professional school admissions exams
- Provide support and guidance for successfully assembling competitive professional school applications
3. Applicable Majors include:
- Physician's Assistant
- Any student interested in a bio medically-related professional program, including Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, or Optometry
4. Community initiatives:
- Professional panel
- Science course support
- Career knowledge
- Tutor support
- Faculty and graduate student office hours on site
- Faculty involvement
- Internship and volunteer opportunities with Mayo Clinic, Shands Hospitals and St. Vincent’s Hospitals for Pre-Medical students
- Internship and volunteer opportunities with professionals and clinics for Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Dental, Pre-Optometry and Pre-Veterinary students
- Social events to build community and have fun
5. Participation Expectation:
must enroll in General Biology 1 (BSC 1010C) for Fall 2017.
There are two options:
- Gen Bio I - BSC 1010C for T/Th 4:30-5:45 p.m. AND choose from one of two lab
sections M 3:00-5:50 OR Th 12:00 - 2:50. Honors BSC 1010C is strongly
encouraged for Honors eligible students.
- Pre-Med Seminar - BSC 2992 is Th 6:00-7:15 p.m. Required for both Fall and Spring semesters.
Students are recommended to also take General
Chemistry I or College Algebra during Fall 2017.
Location for 2017-2018 – Osprey Crossings R
Capacity – up to 25 students
This program is in collaboration with the Department of Biology and UNF Housing and Residence Life.
Those interested in the Pre-Med LLC may also be interested in participating in the BIO-FLITE program which is an intensive orientation for biology majors. This 6-day workshop takes place prior to the LLC retreat and provides participants with an experience into what it takes to be a biology major at UNF. Click the image below for more information on the BIO-FLITE program