Thomas G. Carpenter Library Facts

Library Fact Sheet
Original Building Opened October 1, 1980
Helman Hurley Charvat Peacock/Architects
Addition/Renovation

May 2004 - December 2005
Rink Design Partnership Inc./Architects
Turner Construction, General Contractor 

Images and history in University Archives. 

Size: 199,000 square feet
Seating Capacity: 2,000
Carrels: 37
Group Study rooms 18
Computer workstations 352 public workstations
Computer connections Entire building is wireless
Library Management System Ex Libris ALEPH
Holdings:

864,706 volumes
  23,942 audio (CD/LP) units
  11,321 videos (cassettes, discs) 
  38,246 electronic journals

  59,000 electronic books purchased

  162,000 electronic books leased

  12,008 maps
        1.5 million microform units

Library Staff: Library Faculty: 19
Library Support Staff:   24.5
Revised 4/4/14  

Thomas Glenn Carpenter

Dr. Thomas G. Carpenter, founding President of the University of North Florida, accepted the challenge of building a new university in 1969.   While gathering together a seasoned team of educators and administrators, he also personally directed the physical development of the University of North Florida campus on 1,000 acres of virgin timberland. In October 1972, the University opened to the charter class of 2,000 students.

 

Dr. Carpenter earned his B.A. degree in business from Memphis State University in 1949 and his M.A. in economics from Baylor University in 1950. Coming to Florida in 1954, Dr. Carpenter enrolled in the doctoral program at the University of Florida, earning his Ph.D. in economics in 1963. Dr. Carpenter began his educational career in 1957 with an appointment as an economics instructor at the University of Florida. He subsequently accepted appointments at Florida Atlantic University and the University of West Florida. After 11 years as President of the University of North Florida and with the University firmly established, Dr. Carpenter decided to return to his alma mater, Memphis State University, as its President. He remained there until 1991 when he retired with his wife, Oneida, to Blowing Rock, N.C.

 

While supervising and coordinating the development of academic programs and an expanding campus, Dr. Carpenter instilled in UNF's faculty and staff a strong sense of community involvement by personal example. He served on numerous community agencies and other boards and encouraged members of the University community to be similarly involved. A devout believer in the necessity of a strong university library as a cornerstone in the educational process, Dr. Carpenter was an advocate of the UNF Library and saw it develop during his tenure into one of the finest to be found within the Florida State University System (SUS), the state, and the region. Because of his long and faithful service to the state of Florida and the SUS, it is both fitting and proper that the University of North Florida Library bear the name of Thomas G. Carpenter. For more detailed information and images of Dr. Carpenter, see the online Guide to Campus Buildings from University Archives.