Modified Search for Visiting Faculty
For regular faculty searches, see Faculty Quick Guide
OASys Routing Queues
*Posting of a position vacancy is NOT required for visiting faculty positions.
If posting does NOT occur, follow ONLY steps 1 and 2(1-2) below:
If posting does occur, follow the steps below EXCLUDING 2(2):
Step 1: AUTHORIZATION TO RECRUIT
Academic Affairs, Department Deans and Budget Office will provide authorization to recruit.
Position numbers should not include VIS in the position number.
- Contact AA at (904) 620-2700 with questions.
Step 2: RECRUITMENT
- If conducting a full search and posting the position on OASys, review the search and screen policies for faculty employment.
the recruitment request for approved vacancy. (To access the OASys Hiring
Official Site and create recruitment requests, refer
to the OASys training
If no search is conducted and is NOT publicy posted on OASys:
- Contact the office of EOD at (904) 620-2507 for questions.
If a search is conducted and posted publicly on OASys, route the recruitment request for EOD approval.
- In the Special Instructions on the recruitment request, type “This posting is reserved for” and the full name and email address of the person being hired.
- Route the recruitment request to HR approval. HR will post the position internally and send you the Quicklink for the posting that the applicant will use to apply for the position.
- Once the applicant has applied, you will submit a hiring proposal for them. Refer to the Faculty Hiring Proposal quick guide for more information.
A formal Search Committee is not required; instead, type the following in the Search Committee Composition space: Name(s), Title(s) of persons(s) responsible for reviewing and screening applicants and for making the final selection.
the recruitment request has been posted in OASys, only EOD-approved
advertisements and/or postings may be placed in outside journals, publications
and web sites. (Refer to
Recruitment Resource Guide.)
- Upon EOD
approval, the recruitment request will be sent to the VP and then to HR
Employment for authorization to post the Position Vacancy Announcement
(PVA). The PVA will be posted online at the current job
openings web page.
Step 3: RECEIVING APPLICATIONS ONLINE
submit applications online via OASys, unless
arranged as a reasonable accommodation for persons with certain disabilities.
applications, resumes or other materials are permitted to be accepted by the
department unless submitted via OASys or specifically requested within the
- At the close of the application review date, EOD will certify
and approve the applicant pool.
- EOD will inform
the hiring official and point of contact of applicant pool approval via e-mail.(Applicant
pool certification/approval allows for review of pool only. Candidates can be interviewed after the
interview pool is certified/approved by the Dean/Hiring Official.)
applications, the status for individuals who have incomplete applications can
be changed to reflect that and an automatic e-mail will be sent notifying them
that their application is incomplete.
The status for
individuals who do not meet the minimum requirements can be changed to reflect
that and they will become inactive applicants.
Step 4: INTERVIEWS
- Obtain interview approval from the Dean/Hiring Official.
- When scheduling interviews, change the statuses of the applicants to be interviewed to either “Telephone Interview Pending” or “Campus Interview Pending.”
the interviews. Telephonic and on-campus interviews are expected. Skype is also
- Helpful information on interviewing may be found at legal reminders.
- Forward the names of applicants who participate in each round of interview to EOD for record-keeping.
Step 5: HIRING PROCESS
reference checks on the final candidate(s) using telephone references form.
- Request official transcripts and three (3) official letters of reference if not already received.
- Complete the faculty employment recommendation packet and submit to the Provost through your Dean who must approve the hire before an offer is made.
- Hiring department submits an OASys Hiring Proposal for approval prior to an offer being extended. Refer to the Faculty Hiring Proposal quick guide for assistance.
- Hiring Department makes the verbal offer and moves the Hiring Proposal to Offer Accepted/Declined and then transitions proposal to Initiate Background Check.
- Human Resources will initiate the background check using the candidates information provided in the Hiring Proposal. Departments can also contact Human Resources (Ashley Smith) via email with the candidates full name and email address.
- Mail the new employee the letter of offer to be signed and returned. See sample letters.
Upon completion of the background check, HR will notify the hiring official and point of contact of its status. HR will then submit the Hiring Proposal to EOD for final review and approval.
EOD will collect the candidates New Hire Information including the following: Social Security Number, Date of Birth, and Citizenship Status.
Once the Hiring Proposal is approved, EOD will notify the hiring official to Fill the posting.
- Submit the faculty employment recommendation packet.
Step 6: CLOSE OF SEARCH
- If the option in step 5(8A) above is not used, notify all applicants that position has been filled. Communications may be via e-mail with the status of “Not Hired-Send E-mail,” create a personalized e-mail, or send a letter. See sample letters.
Forward the official search file (all documents pertaining to search) to HR for storage. Search file does NOT need to include information recorded in OASys.
- The applicant address list contains the names and contact information of all the applicants, and may be accessed at any point.
Resources available on E.O.D. web page
Additional Recruiting/Advertising Sources
Do's and Don'ts of Lawful Interviewing
E.O.D. Legal Reminders
Sample Evaluation Form