Quick Guide For Filling Vacant A&P Positions
OASYS Routing Queues
Step 1: AUTHORIZATION TO RECRUIT
- Create or update
position description. (Refer to the Position Description
the position for vacancy pool approval. (Refer to vacancy pool request instructions.)
Step 2: RECRUITMENT
- Review the search and screen policies for administrative employment.
- Create the recruitment request for approved vacancy. (To access
the OASys Hiring
Official Site and create recruitment requests, refer to the OASys training
Route the recruitment request for EOD approval.
- Contact the office of EOD at (904) 620-2507 for questions.
committees are required for positions at the director level and above. Interview
panels may be utilized upon approval to meet a compelling need of the
University. Contact EOD for approval (see administrative employment and legal reminders
After the recruitment request has been posted in OASys, only EOD-approved advertisements may be placed in outside journals, publications and web sites. (Refer to the Diversity Recruitment Resource Guide.)
Step 3: RECEIVING APPLICATIONS ONLINE
- Applicants submit applications online via OASys, unless arranged as a reasonable accommodation for persons with certain disabilities.
- No applications, resumes or other materials are permitted to be accepted by the department unless submitted via OASys or specifically requested within the recruitment request.
- At the close of the application review date, EOD will certify and approve the applicant pool.
- EOD will inform the
hiring official and point of contact of applicant pool approval via e-mail. (Applicant
pool certification/approval allows for review of pool only. Candidates can be interviewed after the
interview pool is certified/approved by EOD.)
- When reviewing applications, the status for individuals who have incomplete applications can be changed, by the hiring official or designee, to reflect that and an automatic e-mail will be sent notifying applicants that their application is incomplete.
- The status for individuals who do not meet the minimum requirements can be changed to reflect such and they will become inactive applicants.
prevent additional applications, contact EOD to place the position “On Hold.”
Step 4: INTERVIEWS
- Contact EOD via e-mail and request interview pool approval for the applicants chosen.
- When scheduling interviews, change the statuses of the applicants to be interviewed to either “Telephone Interview Pending” or “Campus Interview Pending.”
- Conduct the interviews. Telephonic
and on-campus interviews are expected. Skype is also acceptable.
Step 5: HIRING PROCESS
reference checks on the final candidate(s) by requesting three reference letters or using the employment verification (telephone) or employment verification (mailed) forms.
department makes the verbal job offer, contingent upon a successful background
check, and collects required new hire data upon acceptance, including: candidate’s
date of birth, social security number, citizenship status and start date. (See 6B below).
- Upon acceptance of the verbal offer, contact
EOD via e-mail with the successful candidate’s name and e-mail address to initiate
the background check process.
- Mail the new employee the letter of offer to be signed and returned. Letter should include request for official transcripts. See sample letters.
Upon completion of
the background check, EOD will notify the hiring official and point of contact
of its status. (The epaf process cannot begin until confirmation of the candidate’s
successful background check has been received.)
epaf to process new hire. Review OASys tutorial
(parts 5 and 6) or new hire information for
instructions on the epaf.
- Change all of the applicant statuses.
Complete the New Hire Information Tab (which generates epaf) on the recruitment request (using data collected in 2).
Change the status of the recruitment request to “Fill”.
- The new employee’s applicant status must be changed to “Hired.”
- All other applicant statuses should be set to “Not Hired” or “Not Hired-Send E-mail,” along with the corresponding reason for not being hired.
- “Not Hired-Send E-mail” will automatically send out regret letters via e-mail once the position is filled.
- Once the recruitment request is filled, the information from the new hire information tab, the application and the recruitment request will be submitted as an epaf for approval.
the employment recommendation packet to HR, including: new hire access form, osprey card application, key request form, and three reference letters or employment verification prior to the
employee’s first day of work, which should occur at the beginning of a pay
- Notify HR of the date the new employee will attend new employee orientation.
Step 6: CLOSE OF SEARCH
- If the option in step 5(6A) above is not used, notify all applicants that position has been
filled. Communication may be via e-mail with the status of “Not Hired-Send
E-mail,” create a personalized e-mail, or send a letter. See sample letters.
- The applicant address list contains the names and contact information of all the applicants, and may be accessed at any point.
official search and recruitment file (all documents pertaining to the search)
to HR for archives. Search files do not need to include information
recorded in OASys or personal notes.
Resources available on EOD web page
Additional Recruiting/Advertising Sources
Do's and Don'ts of Lawful Interviewing
EOD Legal Reminders
Sample Evaluation Form