Quick Guide For Filling Vacant Faculty Positions
For part-time and/or visiting searches, see Modified Search for Visiting Faculty
OASYS Routing Queues
Step 1: AUTHORIZATION TO RECRUIT
- Academic Affairs, Department Deans and Budget Office will provide authorization to recruit.
- Contact AA at (904) 620-2700 with questions.
Step 2: RECRUITMENT
Review the search and screen policies for faculty employment.
the recruitment request for approved vacancy. (To access the OASys Hiring
Official Site and create recruitment requests, refer
to the OASys training
Route the recruitment request for EOD approval.
- Contact the office of EOD. at (904) 620-2507 for questions.
- Upon EOD approval, the recruitment request will
be sent to the Division/Budget and then HR Employment for authorization to post the Position
Vacancy Announcement (PVA). The PVA will be posted online at the current job openings web page.
committees are required for full-time faculty appointments. Interview
panels may be utilized upon approval to meet a compelling need of the
University. Contact EOD for approval (see faculty
and legal reminders
the recruitment request has been posted in OASys, only EOD-approved
advertisements and/or postings may be placed in outside journals, publications
and web sites. (Refer to
Recruitment Resource Guide.)
Step 3: RECEIVING APPLICATIONS ONLINE
submit applications online via OASys, unless
arranged as a reasonable accommodation for persons with certain disabilities.
- No applications, resumes or other materials are permitted to be accepted by the
department unless submitted via OASys or specifically requested within the
- At the close of the application review date, EOD will certify
and approve the applicant pool.
- EOD will inform the
hiring official and point of contact of applicant pool approval via e-mail. (Applicant pool certification/approval allows for review of pool
only. Candidates can be interviewed after
the interview pool is certified/approved by the Dean/Hiring Official.)
- When reviewing
applications, the status for individuals who have incomplete applications can
be changed to reflect that and an automatic e-mail will be sent notifying them
that their application is incomplete.
- The status for individuals who do not meet the minimum requirements can be changed to reflect that and they will become inactive applicants.
prevent additional applications, contact EOD to place the position “On Hold.”
Step 4: INTERVIEWS
- Obtain interview approval from the Dean/Hiring Official.
Conduct the interviews. Telephonic
and on-campus interviews are expected. Skype is also acceptable.
- When scheduling
interviews, change the statuses of the applicants you want to interview to
either “Telephone Interview Pending” or “Campus Interview Pending.”
- Helpful information on interviewing may be found at legal reminders and recommendations.
- Forward the names of applicants who participate in each round of interview to EOD for review.
Step 5: HIRING PROCESS
reference checks on the final candidate(s) using employment verification (telephone) form.
- Request official transcripts and three (3) official letters of reference if not already received.
employment recommendation packet and submit to the Provost through your
Dean who must approve the hire before an offer is made.
- Once the Hiring Proposal has been approved in OASys, the hiring department makes the verbal job offer and collects required new hire data upon acceptance, including: employee’s date of birth, social security number, citizenship status and start date. (See 8 below).
Upon acceptance of the verbal offer, contact
EOD via e-mail with the successful candidate’s name and e-mail address to initiate
the background check process.
- Mail the new employee the letter of offer to be signed and returned. See sample letters.
completion of the background check, EOD will notify the hiring official and
point of contact of its status. (The epaf process cannot begin until
confirmation of the candidate’s successful background check has been received.)
epaf to process new hire. Review the OASys Hiring Proposal Guide for
instructions on generating the epaf.
- Change all of the applicant statuses.
Complete the New Hire Information Tab (which generates epaf) on the recruitment request (using data collected in step 4).
Change the status of the recruitment request to “Fill”.
- The new employee’s applicant status must be changed to “Hired.”
- All other applicant statuses should be set to “Not Hired” or “Not Hired-Send E-mail,” along with the corresponding reason for not being hired.
- “Not Hired-Send E-mail” will automatically send out regret letters via e-mail once the position is filled.
employment recommendation packet, including: new hire access form,
osprey card application
and key request form, prior to the
employee’s first day of work.
- Once the recruitment request is filled, the information from the new hire information tab, the application and the recruitment request will be submitted as an epaf for approval.
Step 6: CLOSE OF SEARCH
If the option in step 5(8A) above is not used, notify all applicants that position has been
filled. Communications may be via e-mail with the status of “Not
Hired-Send E-mail,” create a personalized e-mail, or send a letter. See sample letters.
official search and recruitment file (all documents pertaining to the search)
to HR for archives. Search files do not need to include information
recorded in OASys or personal notes.
- The applicant address list contains the names and contact information of all the applicants, and may be accessed at any point.
Resources available on EOD web page
Additional Recruiting/Advertising Sources
Do's and Don'ts of Lawful Interviewing
EOD Legal Reminders
Sample Evaluation Form