Major Revision of Existing Policy
Minor/Technical Revision of Existing Policy
Reaffirmation of Existing Policy
I. OBJECTIVE & PURPOSE
To establish a policy wherby a student may seek grade forgiveness to improve his/her grade point average.
Faculty AssociationIII. STATEMENT OF POLICY
Undergraduate, degree-seeking students attempting their first baccalaureate degree may improve their grade point average by repeating a course and requesting that the repeated course and its corresponding grade be the one counted in all the student's applicable Grade Point Averages calculations, as described in the Academic Average (Grade Point Average) Policy.
1. Only two such requests are available to any student during his or her undergraduate UNF career.
2. Grade forgiveness may not be used if term forgiveness has been implemented.
3. The repeated course must be the same course taken previously and must be completed at the University of North Florida. If the course is no longer offered at the University of North Florida, or its number has been changed keeping the same content, the Chair of the Department or an appropriate designee of the college that houses the course is required to approve the substitution of another course.
4. Only the first recorded grade for a course will be forgiven. The most recent grade will be calculated in the GPA.
5. Grade forgiveness requests will not be processed after graduation certification.
6. This policy does not alter the permanent academic record; all attempts for a given course and all grades remain on the student's record.
7. Although both courses and grades appear on the students permanent academic record, the grade for the forgiven course will not be calculated in any of the student's Grade Point Averages (See the Academic Average (Grade Polnt Average) policy.) The original grade will be calculated for the honors GPA.
8. Students may repeat courses without using the forgiveness policy. In this instance, both the original and the repeated grade(s) will be used in the calculation of all applicable Grade Point Averages, as stated in the Academic Average (Grade Point Average) policy. However, earned credit for only the last attempt will apply toward graduation. (Please also see Repeat Hours and Excess Hours Calculation Policies.)
9. This policy reflects UNF grade point calculations only and does not affect the grade point calculation of outside agencies or other institutions who may use all grades, including repeated and forgiven grades, in their calculations of grade point averages.
IV. STATEMENT OF PROCEDURES
Students must complete and submit a Grade Forgiveness request online via the myWings student portal.
Graduating students who wish to utilize grade forgiveness should contact the Registrar via One-Stop to request special consideration. Requests must be submitted prior to the date posted on the academic calendar for commencement.
Copyright © 2015 University of North Florida1 UNF Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32224 | Phone: (904) 620-1000