Policies & Regulations
Major Revision of Existing Policy
Minor/Technical Revision of Existing Policy
Reaffirmation of Existing Policy
President's Office / Human Resources
I. OBJECTIVE & PURPOSE
The purpose of this policy is to establish the parameters of Academic Freedom for University non-unit Faculty.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY
Academic freedom and responsibility apply to teaching, research, and creative activity, and assigned service.
A. Non-unit Faculty shall be free to:
1) Cultivate a spirit of inquiry and scholarly criticism and present and discuss their own academic subjects, frankly and forthrightly, with freedom and confidence.
2) Select instructional materials and determine grades in accordance with University procedure.
3) Engage in scholarly and creative activity and publish the results in a manner consistent with their professional obligations.
B. Non-unit Faculty shall have the responsibility to:
1). Objectively and skillfully present a variety of scholarly opinions on the subject matter.
2) Be forthright and honest in the pursuit and communication of scientific and scholarly knowledge.
3) Respect students, staff, and colleagues and not exploit students for private advantage.
4) Respect the integrity of the evaluation process with regard to students, staff, and colleagues, so that it reflects their true merit.
5) Contribute to the orderly and effective functioning of the academic unit and/or the University and act in a collegial manner in all interactions.
6) Represent themselves as institutional representatives
Adopted by the University of North Florida Board of Trustees as part of the University’s Personnel Program on January 26, 2006.