University of North Florida
Board of Trustees
August 22, 2006
at 10:30 a.m.
Trustees in Attendance
Mr. Luther Coggin, Mrs. Toni Crawford, Mr. Wilfredo Gonzalez, Mr. Steve Halverson, Mrs. Ann Hicks, Mrs. Joan Newton, Dr. Judith Solano, Dr. Bruce Taylor, Mrs. Carol Thompson, Mr. Kevin Twomey
Dr. Edythe Abdullah, Mr. Justin Damiano, Mrs. Wanyonyi Kendrick
Item 1 Call to Order
Chair Taylor called the meeting to order.
Item 2 Chair’s Report
Chair Taylor thanked everyone for their participation in the presidential evaluation process. He noted that there was a tremendous amount of information and thought which provided a good basis for moving forward.
Chair Taylor invited all trustees to the September 5th Executive Committee meeting. He stated that at this meeting, the committee would draft a document that included all information gathered and would forward this draft to all trustees. The committee would then solicit comments and finalize the presidential evaluation document.
Item 3 President’s Report
President Delaney stated that he was looking forward to hearing the observations of the Board and wrapping up the presidential evaluation.
Item 4 Minutes (July 25, 2006)
Chair Taylor asked for a motion to approve the minutes from the July 25th Board meeting. A motion was offered, seconded and the minutes were approved unanimously.
Item 5 AFSCME Contract Ratification
Chair Taylor asked President Delaney to speak about this item.
President Delaney stated that he sent out a memo summarizing the changes to the proposed contract. He notified the Board that key people from the bargaining team and Mr. Leonard Carson were present to discuss this item. President Delaney asked Mr. Carson to speak about the highlights.
Mr. Carson stated that the union ratified this proposed contract by a large majority. This proposed contract kept with what the Board authorized in previous budget discussions. He outlined the proposed contract as follows:
- Each eligible employee shall receive a three percent (3%) across-the-board increase on his/her base rate of pay.
- Funds equal to two percent (2%) of base salary rate would be provided for merit increases.
- Employees whose salaries are funded from a contract, grant, auxiliary, or local fund would be eligible for pay increases provided such increases are permitted and funded by the funding entity.
- Each employee would also receive a $73 transportation stipend.
- An employee with regular status in the class who receives a performance evaluation of not meeting performance standards, or a written or oral reprimand may grieve the evaluation or reprimand.
Trustee Solano asked for clarification on expectations for eligibility – does that mean that all employees who meet expectations will receive equal merit increases? Mr. Carson stated that all employees who meet expectations will receive some merit increase but the amount would be based on a qualification process.
Chair Taylor asked for further question or comments. All trustees were satisfied with the discussion. He then asked for a motion to approve the proposed AFSCME contract. A motion was offered, seconded and the contract was approved unanimously.
Item 6 Adjournment
Chair Taylor adjourned the meeting.