University of North Florida
Board of Trustees
November 29, 2007
University Center at 8:30am
Item 1 Call to Order
Chair Taylor will call the workshop to order.
Chair Taylor will address the Board and ask for approval of the minutes for February 8, 2007 and September 17, 2007.
Item 3 Forward by Design (Attachment 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Forward by Design is a proposal to address many of the issues facing higher education in Florida. Drafted by Chancellor Rosenberg, this proposal will be discussed at the upcoming Board of Governors meeting.
In the proposal the Chancellor sets out three goals: (A) Improve the quality of higher education, (B) Increase baccalaureate degree production, and (C) Provide appropriate and predictable funding. There are specific strategies recommended for each of these broad goals.
Discussion during the workshop will center on these 14 strategies and how each might impact UNF and the state system. Particular attention will be paid to:
- individual university compacts and performance indicators (UNF’s vision and mission),
- UNF’s continued development of graduate programs,
- developing excellence in specific fields of study (flagship programs),
- policies for undergraduate tuition, and
- need-based financial aid (Jacksonville Commitment).
Item 4 SACS Accreditation (Attachment 1)
- Overview of Critical Core Requirements and Comprehensive Standards - This item will highlight those criteria which directly involve Board governance as well as other critical criteria (e.g. development of a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), assessment of student outcomes, continuous improvement, faculty credentials, etc.)
- Introduction of UNF’s proposed topic for the QEP: Community-Based Transformational Learning - UNF has selected Community-Based Transformational Learning for its QEP. The topic was chosen after reviewing a number of submissions that were written in response to a campus wide request for draft proposals. The topic builds on the university’s commitment to student centered learning that extends beyond the classroom. A committee is now developing the draft into a full blown QEP.
Item 4 NCAA Transition Process (Attachment 1, 2)
A committee is currently engaged in a self-study in preparation for NCAA Division I certification. This discussion will focus on where we are in the self-study and in the transition process.
Item 6 Adjournment
Chair Taylor will adjourn the workshop.