Enabling a Password or PIN on Your SmartPhone
- Go to "Settings" and select "Touch ID & Passcode"
- Select "Turn Passcode On"
- Enter your six-digit passcode (do not use a common series such as "1,2,3,4,5,6" or "000000".)
- It is a good idea to set the Require Passcode frequency to "Immediately"
Information about Touch ID security can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949
- Tap the Menu button from the Home screen
- Choose Settings > Security > Screen lock (exact words may vary from phone to phone)
- Follow the instructions to lock your device by Pattern, PIN, or Password
Android's additional security comes in the form of a swipe pattern (unless you're running Android 2.2 Froyo, in which case you can also set a PIN or password). To set one, go into your Android's settings, choose Security, and then Change Unlock Pattern. Check Require Pattern and you'll be able to enter a swipe pattern.
- From the Home screen click Options > Security Options (or Security) > General Settings
- Change the Password field to Enabled and then click Save
- Type the password you would like to use (it can be 4-14 characters in length)
- Click on Start > Settings > Personal tab > Lock (or Security > Device Lock on some phones)
- Check the box for Prompt if device is unused for and select the amount of time
- For the Password type, select Simple PIN or Strong Alphanumeric and enter the password you would like to use