Taking a course at another institution
(Transient or Concurrent Enrollment)


Can I take classes at another school? 


Yes, students may attend other schools as a transient or concurrent enrolled student, BUT WITH STRICT LIMITATIONS and PRIOR APPROVAL. Please see your academic advisor.  It is recommended that you contact the other school to find out their registration requirements and deadlines. 


Transient forms can be completed electronically for Florida State schools. These forms will be routed to your college for an advisor’s approval, the Registrar for certification, and to the school you indicate you will attend. You will be updated of the status of this application by UNF e-mail.  (For out-of-state or private schools you must use the Concurrent/Transient Student Form.) 


Upon finishing the course, we require that an official transcript be sent to us so that the course can be applied to your transcript.  Please visit the Registrar’s office where you are attending and submit a request to send your transcript to One-Stop Student Services.  Sometimes you can submit this request online. 


How do I take a class at another school? 


All College of Arts and Sciences students interested in taking a course at another school must submit an electronic transient form for approval to the College of Arts and Sciences (see instructions above & below).   


How to fill out a transient student form: 

  1. Go to www.flvc.org. 
  2. Use the links at the top right of the page. If this is your first time, you will click on “Create Account.”  If you are a returning student, click “Student Login” (returning students go to step #4). 
  3. First time students need to create a user account on the page selecting “College Student” as your account type, entering your general and security information. 
  4. If you are a returning student, log in and then go to “Apply” and Click “Transient Student Admission Application.” 
  5. Next, click “Continue” and then enter your home institution “University of North Florida” then your student ID (student N#), and your PIN,  (NOTE: to create a PIN go to myWings -> Student (TAB) -> Student Self Service -> Records -> FACTS PIN Management). 
  6. Once logged in, click “Next.” 
  7. Select your college “College of Arts and Sciences” or if you have not yet earned 60 credits you will need to select “Academic Center for Excellence” and then click “Next.” 
  8. Fill out the form completely and click “send.” 
  9. This disclaimer will be sent to you along with approval of the transient student form. 


What else should I know about the process? 


Please be aware that by taking a course at another institution, you may not be allowed to register for a course at UNF until the grade is posted, if it is needed as a pre-req.  A grade of C or better is required unless a higher grade is indicated.  If a student chooses to take a prerequisite course at another institution, permission to take the subsequent course may be given, but if an official final grade of a “C” or better (unless the individual course requires a higher grade) is not received by the start of the following term you may be administratively withdrawn due to lacking the pre-requisite. 


If the course is not degree applicable, your financial aid may not cover the cost.  You will need to contact the financial aid office for questions and clarification.   


Please note that you must meet all prerequisites for your desired course at the transient institution.  


Are there any courses I can’t take at another school? 


All Upper level courses to be used in a major or minor MUST be preapproved by the appropriate Department Chair before an Academic Advisor can approve it.  Transfer is limited to 6 credit hours or 2 courses within the Major (this includes all core, major, major electives and required minor courses of the degree evaluation). All courses that transfer must have a grade of “C” or better unless otherwise indicated.   


Students are not allowed to take courses at another institution in their final semester at UNF. This policy includes correspondence courses and CLEP examinations.  If taking a course in your final semester is your only option, work with your advisor regarding final transfer transcript deadlines.  See your advisor for more clarification and any questions you may have.  If you are about to graduate and are using this course as one of your requirements, we cannot clear you for graduation until the final official transcript is received showing the grade in this course.