Undergraduate, degree-seeking students attempting their first baccalaureate degree may improve their grade point average by repeating a course and requesting that the repeated course and its corresponding grade be the one counted in all the student's applicable Grade Point Averages calculations, as described in the Academic Average (Grade Point Average) Policy.
1. Only two such requests are available to any student during his or her undergraduate UNF career.
2. Grade forgiveness may not be used if term forgiveness has been implemented.
3. The repeated course must be the same course as taken previously and must be completed at the University of North Florida. If the course is no longer offered at the University of North Florida, or its number has been changed keeping the same content, the Chair of the department or an appropriate designee of the college that houses the course is required to approve the substitution of another course.
4. Only the first recorded grade for a course will be forgiven. The most recent grade will be calculated in the GPA.
5. Grade forgiveness requests will not be processed after graduation certification.
6. This policy does not alter the permanent academic record; all attempts for a given course and all grades remain on the student's record. The earned hours associated with a forgiven course, however, are removed.
7. Although both courses and grades appear on the students permanent academic record, the grade for the forgiven course will not be calculated in any of the student's Grade Point Averages (See the Academic Average (Grade Polnt Average) policy.) The original grades will be calculated for the Latin Honors GPA. Using grade or term forgiveness will NOT improve your Latin Honors GPA.
8. Students may repeat courses without using the forgiveness policy. In this instance, both the original and the repeated grade(s) will be used in the calculation of all applicable Grade Point Averages, as stated in the Academic Average (Grade Point Average) policy. However, earned credit for only the last attempt will apply toward graduation. (Please also see Repeat Hours and Excess Hours Calculation Policies.)
9. This policy reflects UNF grade point calculations only and does not affect the grade point calculation of outside agencies or other institutions who may use all grades, including repeated and forgiven grades, in their calculations of grade point averages
The Veterans Administration will not pay for repeated courses if the previous grade met academic standards. Students should direct questions to the Office of Veterans Affairs.
Download Grade Forgiveness Form
You will need the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print this file.
Copyright © 2012 University of North Florida1 UNF Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32224 | Phone: (904) 620-1000
Contact | Emergency | Privacy | RegulationsDisability Accommodations