How to get your I-20 and F-1 student Visa

  1. Apply to the University of North Florida's English Language Program. Request the Form I-20.

  2. Pay the application fee required by the University of North Florida ELP.

  3. Submit your Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR).

  4. Mail your application, application fee, mailing fee, and Certificate of Financial Responsibility (or your financial institution can provide that your bank balance is over $8,600.00 USD on its letterhead) to the University of North Florida.

  5. Wait until you have received your I-20 by mail before making an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

  6.  When you receive your I-20, follow the procedures for paying the $200 USD fee required by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I-901).  Procedure for paying the $200 USD fee:

    • The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement requires all new students to complete the Form I-901 and submit it with a fee of $200 USD. This fee must be paid before the U.S. Embassy or Consulate can make a decision about issuing your visa.
    • You can find the Form I-901 at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement I-901 website. You can complete the form online and submit your payment by credit card or debit card.

      Please print your receipt immediately.


      Please make copies of all your papers submitted to Immigration and Customs Enforcement for this payment.

  7. After you have your I-901 receipt and your papers from the University of North Florida, go to or make an appointment to go to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate to get the F-1 Student Visa.

  8. Go to the interview appointment and take:

    • I-20 (signed)
    • Letter of acceptance
    • Receipt for the I-901 form
    • Statement of Financial Responsibility
    • Any other papers that may prove you will return to your country when you have completed your studies.

  9. Remember that the interview is very short and you should give short and direct answers. There is no time to tell a story.

  10. Remember: The embassy is looking for a reason to believe that you will return to your country when you complete your studies and any proof of employment, continuing school, family in your country and property ownership may help with your request for the F-1 Student Visa. It is important to talk about your future study plans in the United States.

  11.  When you receive the Visa, you can buy an airline ticket.

  12. Denied: If you are denied, ask for a statement explaining why you have been denied and contact us and ask for assistance.

For more information or assistance, contact:

University of North Florida
English Language Program
1 UNF Drive,

Building 14, Room 1710
Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Phone: (904) 620-4281

Fax: (904) 620-4286