Since its opening in 1973, the UNF Boathouse, so named because of its lakefront location, has served a unique role in campus life. Originally designed in 1972 as a food service facility to supplement a small cafeteria and campus vending machines, the Boathouse has gone through a series of transitions.During UNF’s first decade, in the absence of a student union, it functioned as a snack bar and restaurant, a place for socialization, happy hours, and relaxation. The snackbar offered light snacks, cold sandwiches, pizza, and the usual choice of beverages. Initially, a rudimentary set of wood picnic tables was placed outside near the lake, but a small deck was soon added in 1974 to accommodate the growing UNF population. Musical concerts, poetry readings, and small drama productions were regularly held on the deck, and the facility served as a popular gathering place for students, faculty, and staff to mingle and interact with each other.On December 27, 1978, the Boathouse was destroyed by a fire during Christmas vacation, causing $90,000 in damages. The building was declared a total loss, and a new, considerably larger building was erected on the same location. To the delight of all who missed the "old" Boathouse, it opened in September 1980. This vastly improved and substantially enlarged Boathouse had a large sloping roof and deck over the lake, and continued to serve the campus well as a food and entertainment venue. So well in fact, that in 1994, it was renovated and expanded to its current shape and size.Its next transition was its conversion in 2002 to Wackadoo’s Grub and Brew, a casual dining/full-service restaurant offering students additional entertainment features of video games, pool tables and a large projection screen. The interior was also updated to include seating booths and a serving bar, and numerous photographs from UNF athletic events were placed on tables and walls. In August 2007, Wackadoo's was upgraded and given a new name - UNF Boathouse Grille.On May 9, 2008, the third incarnation of the Boathouse closed its doors permanently to make way for construction of the new Student Union. The Boathouse was razed in early August 2008. The Student Union, housing a new full service "Boathouse" restaurant, opened in May 2009. The Student Union consists of two buildings: The east building houses student services offices, Outakes fast-food restaurant, Student Government, and a game room; the west building houses a bookstore, the Boathouse restaurant, and a food court with fast-food outlets to serve the University community. A covered walkway and open-air plaza connect the two buildings. There is also an outdoor amphitheater on the north side that can fit 3,000 to 4,000 people for large outdoor activities and functions.
For information on other UNF buildings, return to "UNF From the Ground Up".
For additional University Archival information, please contact us by phone at (904) 620-1533 or e-mail email@example.com.
First Boathouse, 1973
Interior of Boathouse, 1973
Free Street Theater, 1976
Boathouse, May 6, 2008
The last photograph of theBoathouse, July 16, 2008
Copyright © 2012 University of North Florida1 UNF Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32224 | Phone: (904) 620-1000
Contact | Emergency | Privacy | RegulationsDisability Accommodations