Formerly known as the Building 14 complex, the Center was named after Dr. Andrew A. Robinson, the first Interim President of UNF from 1980-82, by a special act of the 1987 Florida Legislature. The same year, Frederick Schultz established the Andrew A. Robinson Eminent Chair in Educational Policy and Economic Development to honor him. The Robinson Eminent Scholar Lecture Series, hosted by the College of Education and Human Services, is funded from this Endowment. In addition, the Andrew A. Robinson Promising Scholars Award was created to help outstanding students with strong academic performance and communication skills further their education.Dr. Robinson joined UNF in July 1970 as a charter faculty member in the College of Education. Previously, he had a long and distinguished tenure as the founding Principal of Jacksonville's William Raines Senior High School. In 1976, he became Dean of the College of Education and Human Services and, four years later, was appointed Interim President of UNF. In 1982, he resumed his post as Dean of the College of Education and Human Services and was also appointed Director of the Florida Institute of Education.In addition to being a highly respected and revered educational leader, Dr. Robinson also was an active civic and community leader. He served on numerous local boards and authorities, including the Jacksonville Transportation Authority, Jacksonville Housing Authority, Jacksonville Community Relations Commission, and 1987 Chairman of the Jacksonville branch, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.Dr. Robinson died on February 27, 1988. (For more information on Dr. Robinson and his many accomplishments: Dr. Andrew A. Robinson left solid record of accomplishment, Florida Times-Union editorial, March 1, 1988).
For information on other UNF buildings, return to "UNF From the Ground Up".
For additional University Archival information, please contact us by phone at (904) 620-1533 or e-mail email@example.com.
Frederick Schultz, Dr. Curtis McCray, Dr. Andrew Robinson, announcement of Robinson Scholar Chair, 1987
Copyright © 2015 University of North Florida1 UNF Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32224 | Phone: (904) 620-1000