Archiving Outlook Calendar Items
The following steps show how to perform a one-time archive of calendar entries older than January 1, 2008.
These steps should be completed before you are scheduled to have your mailbox migrated.
For Macintosh users, Entourage does not provide a solution for archiving calendar items. Therefore, it is recommended that Macintosh users make a Remote Desktop Connection to the RDS server and archive their calendar items using the steps below.
1. In Outlook, select the File menu, and then select Archive.
2. Click Archive this folder and all subfolders.
Caution If you created other calendars below the default calendar, this setting will archive items from all calendars.
3. In the folder list, select the Calendar folder.
4. It is recommended that you save your archive file to your Documents (Vista) or My Document (Windows XP) folder temporarily and then move it to your I:/ Drive. Click on the Browse.. button and select Documents if you are using Vista or My Documents if you are using Windows XP.
5. Click OK. The archive will begin. On the Outlook status bar (at the bottom of your Outlook window), you will see the menu Archiving. When you click Archiving, you have the option of canceling the archive in progress. Any items already archived up to that point will remain in the archive file.
Important: After the archiving is complete, you may want to move your archive file (.PST file) to your I: Drive. The reason ITS recommends placing your .PST file on your I: Drive is that it is backed up nightly. You don't want to archive directly to your I: Drive is because if you exceed your quota on a network drive when archiving, you do not receive a notification. The archiving process will cease and you most likely won't realize your archive was aborted.
6. To move your .PST file to your I: Drive, click on the Start button and select either Documents or My Documents. Find a file named Archive (with a modified date of the day you performed the Archive).
- If you are using Windows Vista, right click on the file and select Send To and then select your I: Drive from the list (as shown below).
- If you are using Windows XP, right click on the file and select Copy. Click on Start and then Computer. Double click on your I:/ Drive to open it. Click on the Edit menu and select Paste.
7. If you wish to have your archive file displayed in your folder list in Outlook, follow these steps:
- Click on Calendar in the navigation pane (at the bottom left) to bring up your calendar view
- On the File menu, point to Open and then select Outlook Data File
- Browse to Documents or My Documents and select the .PST file that contains your archived calendar items. Click OK.
- At the top of the navigation pane (top left) click on Calendar in Archive Folders. This will display your archived calendar items.